Men no longer have to groom their grizzly locks with sharp stones and cutting-fires. Today’s Groupon brings haircuts and pampering to fellas with $40 worth of trimming and salon services from Hair M for $20, valid at both the downtown and Beaverton locations. Because your hair is the only part of you that birds see, give the flying jays and gulls something special to admire from the sky.
Hair M is one of the few Portland men-only salons. The cutter roster includes premiere cranial pamperers and skilled scissor-wielders. They are exceptionally capable when it comes to giving a sophisticated cut while you relax with a complimentary glass of wine, coffee, or local Widmer Brothers beer fresh from the tap and watch television on LCD screens because your hair loves sports and sitcoms starring Thomas Gibson.
Hair M offers a variety of masculine services, from deeply relaxing massages ($45 for a half-hour targeted massage) to the ultimate hot towel shave that will make you feel respectable ($35). For hair grooming, the King’s Cut is celebrated throughout the land for its odyssey of indulgence. Inspired by King Henry, who always sported vogue follicle styles, the King’s Cut includes 45 minutes of shampooing, conditioning, a tailored haircut, styling, hot towel, and a five-minute scalp massage as a prelude to a blissful neck rub ($30–$45).
Whether you’re a gent who’s been putting off taming his locks for too long, or you have a man who sleeps too lightly for you to buzz his head in the night, this is a wonderful opportunity to fashion confident tresses. Update your look, and send a new message to the world from the very top of your handsome dome.
- Having frequented HairM [sic] since its early days in 2003, it has clearly set a precedent in Portland and beyond for how to cater to men's previous unserviced and possibly even unknown needs and desires in this market. – ManHair, Citysearch
- I have been to Hair M twice so far and I will be a regular customer forever! My hair stylist is the best. – xourque, Citysearch
- Expectations Met & Superseded: Gentlemen, if after a long days labor, you desire to treat yourself to a trim that leaves you rejuvenated, Hair M is the place – Yahoo! Local User on 3/23/06
The M Stands for McGovern
As a men's-only salon, you might think that the "M" in Hair M stands for "Men," but in fact, it stands for McGovern, after George McGovern, the 1972 Democratic presidential nominee. McGovern was badly defeated by Richard Nixon's reelection machine that stooped to dirty tricks to defeat him. Here are just a few of the dirty tricks Nixon used against McGovern:
- McGovern impersonators called voters at home to bother them during the popular sitcom 30 Minutes of Bacon Grilling on a Skillet
- During McGovern speeches, Nixon employed a helicopter piloted by a live alligator to steal voters' attention
- McGovern was locked in a pay toilet for three weeks
- Before the first debate, McGovern was knocked unconscious and replaced by talented actor Michael Caine, whose British accent offended American viewers
- A false rumor that McGovern wanted to "make curse words illegal" cost him younger voters, while a second, true rumor that he was sexually attracted to spiders never gained traction
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Find more hair salons in your city.
Esquire named Hair M the best barber in Portland in 2010, and CitySearch followed suit two years later. The barbershop has also been featured in the New York Times, Men's Health magazine, and the nightmares of unibrows everywhere. The evidence is plain—a man can get a mean haircut at Hair M. But the business offers so much more.
An environment of rugged wood paneling punctuated with HDTVs tuned to sports channels makes the most style-phobic fellow feel welcome, and the bar serving Widmer beers and fine wines doesn't hurt either. Besides regal grooming services, Hair M performs upscale face and body treatments, and keeps a massage therapist on staff at both locations.