Horses are our superiors in every way, which is why we're so lucky that they allow us the courtesy of riding all about on their supple yet strong horse backs. Deepen the human-horse bond with this Groupon.
Choose from Five Options
- $30 for one auditing admission to the Charlie Andrews clinic ($60 value)
- $60 for two auditing admissions to the Charlie Andrews clinic ($120 value)
- $50 for youth participation with your own horse in the Charlie Andrews clinic ($100 value)
- $100 for adult participation with your own horse in the Charlie Andrews clinic ($200 value)
- $150 for adult participation with horse provided in the Charlie Andrews clinic ($300 value)
The horsemanship clinic takes place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 17, and Sunday, May 18. Those who are auditing will be spectators in the arena, watching Charlie Andrews teaching the participants. Students learn horsemanship skills from Andrews, who has experience in hunter-jumper, dressage, rodeo, jousting, and Western and English riding styles.
Dog therapy is common in hospitals and hospice care facilities, but the nonprofit organization Halter, Inc. fills its stables with miniature horses trained in animal therapy. The gentle horses bond with children with special needs and at-risk teenagers, helping them build confidence and express themselves emotionally. The staff has designed riding lessons to teach horsemanship skills to children with special needs—however, all children are welcome to learn—and invites youngsters in third to eighth grade to join its Pony Express Club, a service program in which they assist with toddler horse rides and offsite events, such as petting zoos. They also host camps and celebrate children's birthdays filled with pony rides and games, but the horses have objected to any rounds of Pin the Tail on the Horse.