What You'll Get
Head for Mexico's delicious, gooey center with today's Groupon: $20 gets you $40 worth of authentic Mexican fare at Hecho En Mexico, the charming little cocina in south Austin. Hecho En Mexico strives to bring the traditional flavors of Mexico north of the Rio Grande (which means Big Grand in Spanish) with service that's as warm and friendly as recently prepared ground beef molded into a smiley face.
Hecho En Mexico's menu is redolent with luscious, authentic Mexican breakfast, lunch, and dinner dishes. In the early hours, try the huevos motuleños (eggs over huarache with black beans and ham, covered with chipotle cream sauce, $7) or the papas con huevo y chorizo (scrambled eggs with diced fried potatoes and homemade Mexican sausage, $6). Lunch items include cochinita pibil (achiote-marinated pork with pickled red onions, black beans, and rice, $9) and chiles en nogada (roasted poblaño pepper stuffed with shredded pork, almonds, and raisins, topped with creamy walnut sauce, $8). For dinner, Hecho specializes in mole blanco (chicken or fish cooked in Oaxaca-style mole blanco with pickled red onions, $14.50) and enchiladas, served four different ways.
If your Mexican sweet tooth screams for Mexican sweets, savor imaginative dessert creations such as nieve de mole (ice cream with mole sauce, $6) or crepas de limon (crepes with creamy lemon sauce, $6). Or fool regulars into think you're also a regular by ordering what regulars order on a regular basis: the chiles rellenos ($13.50) and sopa de tortilla ($4.25 per cup, $6.50 per bowl).
Note: Deal not valid during happy hour.
- As a Mexican-born foodie, I can tell a good Mexican restaurant. This is it. By far, the most authentic interior Mexican restaurant I have found after 10 years of living in Austin. – gerardodada, Citysearch
- I had the stuffed poblano topped with pomegranite [sic] seeds. It was a beautiful presentation and very flavorful. – 40something1, Citysearch
- yo les recomiendo el Ceviche de Camaron, o que tal un pescado en mole Blanco MMMM – Zatanacio, Citysearch
O’Grizzley’s, Where It’s Always Happy Hour
While today’s deal isn’t valid during happy hour, you can always attend happy hour after indulging in authentic Mexican by hitting up O’Grizzley’s, Where It’s Always Happy Hour. Here’s what makes O’Grizzley’s, O’Grizzley’s:
- It’s happy hour during the entire day, except 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. when it is also Beer-Battered Nacho Rolls Hour.
- If your server doesn’t write his name on your construction-paper tablecloth, your sixth Blue-garita, Taco Shake or Virgin Ultimate Frozen Key Lime Ting-a-Ling Hurri-slide is free.
- You have to go there when your brother-in-law is in town because Dale won’t eat anywhere else.
- Fictional mascot O’Grizzley, The Party Bear, is currently being genetically constructed in a Minnesota laboratory.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jan 22, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, 1 additional as gift. 1 per table. Not valid with other offers. Not valid during Happy Hour. No cash back. Tax & gratuity not included. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.