What You'll Get
Human hands have negotiated unsafe monkey bars, laid brick to mortar, merged the butters of peanuts with the sauces of grapes, and grown their own fingers. Today's Groupon adds one more skill to your arm paddles with one of four crafting classes focusing on salves, scrubs, elixirs, or bath salts at Herban Wellness for $10 (up to a $30 value). Learn under the tutelage of an herbal-medicine guru as you make your own soothing potions to stock your start-up apothecary shop.
Concocting your own lotions and herbal remedies makes everyday indulgence more affordable and squirrels away extra dimes for purchasing wedding cakes by the dozen. Herban Wellness's owner and educator, Katya Difani, holds a degree in Herbal Science and has a passion for teaching others how to take nature's essential ingredients and transform them into rejuvenating substances. Choose one from the following four classes:
- Herbs in Topical Skincare: Lotions, Salves, and Lip Balms ($30 value): Play with a batch of herbs and essential oils to create simple skin creams and salves that can be quickly and easily replicated. You'll leave with a sample of the creations to use at home. (Saturday, July 31, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; Saturday, August 7, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; and Thursday, August 19, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Body Scrubs and Masks ($25 value): Learn to harness the power of exfoliation for detoxification and scrubbingful merriment. In this class, you'll blend salt scrubs, sugar scrubs, and grain-based scrubs to create a spa experience in your own bathroom. Be prepared to get a little messy, as you'll get to try out the concoctions during your class. (Saturday, July 17, from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. and Saturday, August 14, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.)
- Herbal Syrups and Infusions for Sodas and Cocktails ($25 value): Learn how to stock your shelves with a collection of homemade herbal syrups and blends, which you can use to make tasty herbal sodas and cocktails such as a lemon balm and lavender soda or a kava colada. (Saturday, July 24, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; Wednesday, August 4, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.; and Tuesday, August 24, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.)
- Herbal Preparations for Kids ($25 value): Budding medicine munchkins learn to make simple lip balm, an after-sun spray for sunburns, or an all-purpose salve for healing cuts, scrapes, bug-bites, and action-figure amputations. (Wednesday, August 11, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Saturday, August 28, from 10 a.m. to 11: 30 a.m.)
Classes will be scheduled every month for the duration of your Groupon's validity (one year), so if you can't make one of the above sessions, you'll still have plenty of opportunities to use your Groupon.
Each class is subject to cancellation if fewer than five people sign up.
- The best is Katya's knowledge and personal touch with each of her blends of organic herbs. The store is a treasure, get her winter cold blend to fight off the gunk. – Tim R., Yelp
- She has done such a good job with providing a village presence for wellness. The prices are reasonable and well worth the education that comes along with the products. – Gwen N., Yelp
- Katya, the owner, is very knowledgeable and was helpful in helping me find what I needed. – Sterling C., Yelp
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jul 24, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 2 per person, may buy multiple as gifts. Reservation required. Subject to availability. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Herban Wellness
As a teenager, Katya Difani wrestled with chronic health issues that left her physical and spiritual wellness out of whack. From her misfortune blossomed something beautiful: an appreciation for the healing effects of nature's bounty. After obtaining a degree in herbal science, Katya opened Herban Wellness, a shop stocked with holistic and natural remedies for common health complaints. From bulk herbs born at local farms, each vetted in person by Katya herself, to house-blended teas that soothe allergies, Herban Wellness’s selection holds its own against prescription meds.
The store also hosts practical classes that teach customers how to implement holistic cures in their own homes. During one session, Katya compiles the ingredients for all-natural lotions, salves, and lip balms that students can make in their own blenders after acing the instructional course.