Choose Between Two Options
- $13 for $20 Value ($20 value)
- $21 for $40 Value ($40 value)
Five Steps for Jumping the Wake
Though similar to other sports such as surfing, you’ll want to follow these steps to properly jump the wake when wakeboarding.
1. Find the proper body position. Stand with your feet parallel to the rear of the boat, placing slightly more weight on the rear foot. With knees slightly bent, twist the upper body slightly through the hips and shoulders.
2. Grip the handle properly. Place your hands side-by-side with knuckles up. The golden rule is to keep the handle close to your hips when doing a trick. (When coasting, it’s ok to straighten your elbows.) As you cut toward the wake, bring the handle in slightly. You’ll bring it closer still while in the air—that way, if you land awkwardly, you can give some line tension back to the boat while you regain your balance and invent a name for the move you just did.
3. Steer the board. Shift the board’s angle to one side by shifting pressure onto your toes or heels. Keep the handle low and your arms straight in order to maintain tension on the rope. If the rope goes slack, it can make the board ride flat and cause you to lose control of the edge.
4. Get out of the wake. To exit you’ll need to make a smooth, slow turn toward either side. Keep your knees softly bent and make sure not to cut too hard, which can make the rope lose tension. Gradually carve out of the wake as far as you can, keeping the towrope tight and applying constant pressure to the edge of the wakeboard.
5. Get some air. As you feel the boat begin to pull you back toward the wake, shift your weight toward the wake, progressively adding more weight on the edge of the board as you approach the wake—the more pressure you apply and the straighter your legs are while you do it, the higher you’ll fly. You’ll keep picking up speed until you hit the wake, launching you into the air. As you soar, bend your knees to absorb the shock of the landing, letting you smoothly coast along until you’re ready to jump again.