History, like mid-1990s dance crazes and the XFL, is a fleeting affair that can dissipate into memories and mothballs in the blink of a thrown elbow. Harness history once and for all with today's Groupon: for $45, you get a contributing membership to Historic New England (a $100 value). You must activate your membership by December 1, 2010. Memberships are good for one year after activation.
Historic New England focuses its efforts on the preservation of the region's architecture, landscapes, and other histori-cultural entities. Currently, the organization owns and operates 36 historical sites throughout Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Rhode Island—20 of which are located in the Bay State. Join Historic New England's time-trapping cause with a contributing membership and you'll receive a Beauport-Sleeper-McCann House’s worth of benefits, including:
- Free admission to house tours at 36 properties
- Free sneak preview of the Phillips House Annual Car Meet for Groupon Members, including house tours, vintage car meet, coffee, and donuts on August 15, 10:30 a.m.–12 p.m. (reservation required and can be made during online Groupon redemption)
- Free admission to the Library and Archives
- Four single-use guest passes
- 15% discount on shop and greenhouse purchases
- Free admission to a special lecture
- Receive member publications, including Historic New England magazine, published three times a year
- Discounts at participating businesses
- Free admission to exclusive members' events
Founded in 1910, Historic New England was recently honored by the Massachusetts Historical Commission for a century of preserving the past and keeping John Winthrop's ghost at bay. Experience first-hand the evolution of New England—with properties dating back to the 17th century and architectural styles ranging from stone-enders to a Bauhaus abode—with a membership to Historic New England.