Put on your psychedelic platforms or groovy leisure suits, and treat your ears to the original disco masters in an outdoor venue that looks as if it's a pulsating disco-tastic space ship. With today's Groupon, $18 gets you one ticket to see Disco Fever 3 on September 27 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Hollywood Bowl ($35 value). The show features Kool & the Gang, Chic with Nile Rodgers, the Village People, and special guests Yvonne Elliman, Thelma Houston, and Maxine Nightingale. Rarely do such powerhouses of disco come together to get down and boogie in one venue, so you should go with your disco-lovin' hunnies and funky fans and get this Groupon.
Your Groupon gets you bench seating in sections F1–3 and K1–3, so you can give your knees a break from the onslaught of hits. Even if you're too young (or too old) to remember the faces, you'll recognize the tunes. Sing along with Kool & the Gang's "Jungle Boogie," "Ladies' Night," and "Celebration," and dance your freaky, hip-swinging moves to Chic's "Le Freak" and "Good Times." Good times will be had by all, and celebration will ensue. The Village People's hits "Macho Man," "In the Navy," and "Y.M.C.A." will get your hands up and your voices out. Be sure you and your friends plan which Village Person each of you dress as to avoid angry disco haymakers and ensure you've brought the proper hat.
In addition to its stunning space-ship design, the Hollywood Bowl's outdoor atmosphere creates an energy that radiates into the trees and back into the crowd. A place where families are comfortable to relax and friends can dance and sing along, the Hollywood Bowl is known for its friendly staff, laid-back attitude, and gorgeous views of the night sky. Let the stars be your disco ball. Surprise your baby-boomer parents with the music of their youth, or feed the fever that only gyrating hips can break with today's Groupon.
Yelpers give the Hollywood Bowl 4.5 stars:
- Outdoors. Perfect sound. No bad seats. Wide variety of talented performers... One of the all time best music venues in Los Angeles. – Lynsay B.
- I've never seen a bad show, and they are almost always uniformly unique and interesting, challenging and worthwhile. – Forrest D.
- The outside setting, the cooling night, the personal interaction with your fellow Angelenos, the come one, come all, bring whatever you want attitude of the Bowl staff... 5 stars. – Richard C.
Less-Famous Disco Artists are Still OK Too
Although the artists featured in today’s Groupon have the staying power to still draw big crowds today, not all disco musicians are as popular as they once were. Here are some favorite one-hit wonder disco artists and the hit song we remember them by:
- Shantay, “Disco Days/Disco Nights/Substitute Teaching Afternoons”
- Disco Alan and the Booty Looters, “Baby, Let’s Graduate and Get Good Jobs”
- Dancington K. Lifeboat’s, “Doin’ the Hoveround”
- Party Street ,“Don’t Forget to Vote (For Lyndon LaRouche)”
- The Diversions, “Room for Three in This Hot Air Balloon”
Los Angeles Philharmonic
The orchestra performs concerts that tunefully blend classical works with new pieces, and continually seeks new ways to engage audiences. Many evenings, for instance, are preceded by an Upbeat Live talk, covering the program's historical and cultural context and opening the floor for Q&As with guest artists. A thriving youth orchestra program, YOLA, shares the joys of classical music with a fresher-faced generation. And the Green Umbrella program invites guests to hear world-premiere compositions. That novel approach to listener engagement seems to have caught on—every year, Los Angeles Philharmonic shares music with more than two million ears.