Hockey teams are often named after intimidating natural phenomena, such as the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Colorado Avalanche, and the Tuscaloosa Puberty. Experience the fury with today's Groupon: for $22, you get two corner section seats ($26 each), one parking pass ($7), and an on-ice photo (a $20 value) to one of four Houston Aeros home games (a $79 total value). Choose from four game options:
- Saturday, January 1, 2011, at 7:35 p.m. against the San Antonio Rampage
- Friday, January 7, 2011, at 7:35 p.m. against the Lake Erie Monsters
- Sunday, January 9, 2011, at 4:05 p.m. against the San Antonio Rampage
- Sunday, January 16, at 4:05 p.m. against the Grand Rapids Griffins
The AHL's Aeros were the winners of the International Hockey League's Turner Cup in 1999 and the 156-ounce AHL's Calder Cup in 2003. Cheer on Jamie Fraser, Petr Kalus, and Cody Almond as they attempt to maintain their team's cold tyranny with swift passes, speed-of-sound shots, and gentle camaraderie composed of deep, meaningful silence and smoldering eye contact. You’ll catch all the delicate, glamorously attired action from great seats at the Toyota Center, then preserve the evening with a post-game photo on the ice, where the cold thrill of victory and even colder chill of defeat is strongest. You'll also get club access with your tickets, which swankifies your chill with a bar, bathrooms, and private food vendors who will happily slap-shot 100-mile-per-hour hot dogs into your teeth.
Hockey is like the magnificent mutt of the sporting world. You get the suspense of watching an object swish through a net (like in basketball or soccer), the thrill of rambunctious brawls (boxing), the tear-stained emotional fragility of ice skating or football, and the utter brutality of golf all combined into one action-packed, sequin-studded event. Take your whole family or only your estranged dog walker. Hockey's family-friendly nature and pro-fisticuffs political leanings also make it an ideal activity for antsy out-of-town relatives visiting for the annual "It's January!" celebration of the month of January and all that January stands for as a month.
Eight Yelpers give the Houston Aeros five stars:
- Tonight's game was super fun as always. I love the players, the back of the house staff, the cheerleaders, even the giant man-sized dog, Chilly. – olivia b.
- The Aeros are a great night out for family and hipsters alike - the games are fast-paced, the guys work hard, and the atmosphere is fun and friendly. – Liz S.