If your Monday morning already has you waiting for the weekend, today's Groupon will make the anticipation taste better with a drizzle of hot sauce and hope. Today's Groupon makes your weekend plans sizzle with two tickets to the upcoming weekend of hot live music and hotter hot sauce at the ninth annual Houston Hot Sauce Festival. For just $5, you and a friend get a full day (Saturday, September 19, 11 a.m.–6 p.m., or Sunday, September 20, 12 p.m.–5 p.m.) of music, tastings, and shopping. Tickets are normally $5 each, so today's two-for-one deal gives you enough extra dough to buy your favorite salsa, wing sauce, peppers, and spices to bring home for private scorching consumption or to share with fellow tasters of the flame.
Your general admission ticket gets you free samples of all the hot sauce, salsa, peppers, spices, jams, jellies, marinades, rubs, and wing sauce you can stand, all on offer from a wide range of exhibitors. Crawfish sausage, beer, and more will be available for purchase, and live musical acts will fill the Stafford Centre with country, blues, rock, and zydeco. Houston's own Cattle Prod, The Zydeco Dots, and Wille B. and the Silverbacks will fire up the crowd, and the flavorful tastes will have you singing for a drop of water. Separate the boys and girls from the men and women as you put your taste buds to the test. Come home with some early holiday gifts for the hot-sauce lovers in your life, and add a little kick to your kitchen with the flavor-enhancing properties of the perfect spice rub.
You don't need to get a babysitter to take advantage of this tasty festival; children 12 and under get in free, and the festival has free children's activities such as face painting, a moon walk, and hoop games. As an added bonus, proceeds from the Houston Hot Sauce Festival benefit the Snowdrop Foundation, an organization that assists patients and families at Texas Children's Cancer Center through research funding and college scholarships for former patients. Do good for the Children's Cancer Center and your palate with today's Groupon for fun, friends, and mouths-of-fire.
- The sauces tend to range from flavorful and mild to searing and distressing. This is definitely the place to go if you are looking to find that special hot sauce, which is sure to shut up the annoying macho man (or woman) who declares himself and his taste buds to be invincible. I have personally picked up a couple from here that I keep solely for those special occasions when a belligerent braggart is in our midst. – Greg Shelley, Examiner.com
Though most former attendees were too busy taming their flaming taste buds to write online reviews, a Citysearcher gives the event five stars:
- this is a fantastic time. we have gone several yrs and have enjoyed every minute of it. we get introduced to different tastes both hot and flavorful. the weather can be stifling but you are already sweating from the sauces so who cares. the beer helps for both. – markandalton
Competitions Among Boys
The fiery hot sauces at the Hot Sauce Festival can separate the men from the boys. Here are other events boys can use to prove their manliness:
- Reading competitions
- Heated games of Operation
- Handshake contests
- Poetry slams and limerick disputes
- Who-Loves-Their-Mom-More Tournaments
Houston Hot Sauce Festival
In Houston, September beats out July and August for the hottest month of the year—it has nothing to do with the weather, however. The culprit behind the elevated heat level is the Houston Hot Sauce Festival. This annual event brings together exhibitors from across the country to sell and hand out samples of their signature hot sauces, salsas, jams, dips, and other spicy foods. Luckily, vendors also supply plenty of cool beverages, thus eliminating the need for bite-size fire extinguishers.
Live entertainment complements the spicy goods. Blues artists, jazz bands, and other musician play throughout the festival, and each day brings special events, such as salsa eating competitions or fire eating performances.
10505 Cash Rd
Stafford, Texas 77477Get Directions