Art represents the triumph over chaos, just as pulled-pork donuts represent the triumph over dignity. Expand your tastes with today's Groupon, which gets you membership to the Hudson River Museum in Yonkers. Choose from three Groupons:
- For $20, you get one individual membership (a $40 value).
- For $25, you get one dual membership (a $50 value). This option is good for two adults in a single household.
- For $30, you get one family membership (a $60 value). This option is good for two adults and any children or grandchildren under 18.
The 74-year-old Hudson River Museum preserves 19th- and 20th-century art and cultural and historic material about the Westchester County and Hudson River Valley region. Art lovers can take in the museum’s impressive collections, including sculptures from as far back as 1871 and photographs of the burgeoning Hudson River Valley in the 19th century. Peruse the environmentally focused Hudson Riverama, which lets visitors siphon knowledge about the local geology and fauna from interactive and illustrative exhibits. The Chemistry of Color exhibit delves into a thoughtful analysis of contemporary African-American art, whereas the museum’s collection of landscape art spans from Gifford Beal’s Autumn on the Hudson to an artistic penguin’s untouched white canvas called Antarctica. The museum also maintains and gives tours of Glenview, an intricately decorated, 19th-century Victorian mansion.
Members receive a bounty of benefits to further enhance their enjoyment of the museum. Saunter in and out of the museum and planetarium on a whim with unlimited free admission, or turn art appreciation into an aesthetic pilgrimage with free admission to any museums in the Fairfield/Westchester Museum Alliance. Members-only talks and tours deepen art-lovers' understandings of the collections by steeping them in a brew of astute guides and intriguing information.
The New York Times reviewed the Hudson River Museum's current exhibition. Frommer's and NYC.com reviewed the museum itself. Three Yelpers award the Hudson River Museum a near-perfect 4.5-star average.
- Today, the Museum's collections reflect its mission to provide for development, preservation, and display of 19th- and 20th-century American art and history. – NYC.com
- A real jewel of a museum. Combination art museum, science museum, planetarium, and historic home, it literally has something for everyone. – Chris J., Yelp, 3/1/10