Subtlety is a hallmark of brilliant art, whether it’s the hint of a smile on the Mona Lisa or the cow on a motorcycle in the background of American Gothic. Dive into the details with this Groupon.
Choose Between Two Options
$49 for a one-year family passport membership (a $100 value)
- Unlimited admission to the museum for two specified adults and all minor children in their household
- 10% discounts at the museum store and discounts at select businesses
- Yearlong subscription to ArtView, the museum’s quarterly magazine
- 20% discount on children’s studio classes and summer camp
- Invitations to members-only previews and updates on all events
- Membership to the North American Reciprocal Museum Program, which grants free or discounted admission to more than 500 museums<p>
$9 for admission for two adults (a $19.90 value)<p>
Hunter Museum of American Art
Perched atop an 80-foot bluff overlooking the Tennessee River, Hunter Museum of American Art hosts collections ranging from colonial times to contemporary America. The permanent collection includes historical works by renowned painters such as Thomas Cole, Mary Cassatt, and Winslow Homer as well as contemporary pieces in less traditional mediums such as filmmaking, which artists turned to after paintbrushes went extinct. Educational programs guide visitors through these core works as well as temporary exhibits, which have included Depression-era photographs by Dorothea Lange and the sculptural installation art of Beverly Semmes.
Hunter Museum's buildings are as much a work of art as the paintings they house. An outdoor sculpture plaza and a sleek structure of steel and glass built in 2005 give the compound a contemporary edge. In contrast, the massive fireplaces and hand-carved woodwork inside the original edifice—a classical revival-style mansion built in 1904—recall the days when horses still chauffeured their owners around in Ford Model Ts.
“My friend Deborah, the art expert, has taken me several times to Hunter. I was glad to be able to take her. Several people visiting the museum that day were also...”
“My friend Deborah, the art expert, has taken me several times to Hunter. I was glad to be able to take her. Several people visiting the museum that day were also discussing how wonderful it was. More people need to take the opportunity to visit.”
“I enjoyed my experience at hunter as did my date.”
“Glass exhibit excellent”