Today's Groupon delivers flying-and-backflipping-through-midair fun with indoor skydiving: $37 gets you the Earn Your Wings Package ($59.95)—which includes a training session, flight gear, and assistance from a personal instructor—and two flights in iFly Hollywood's gravity-defying vertical wind tunnel, plus a DVD of your session ($24.95). iFly's technology simulates the feeling of skydiving without the human-body-plummeting-toward-the-earth-at-9.8-meters-per-second-per-second factor. It's the perfect thrill ride for people who love the idea of skydiving, but don't like the idea of wearing a cumbersome parachute.
Two flights in the tunnel—the time equivalent of three tandem skydives—gives you plenty of time to practice your MJ-tribute moonwalk, rid the dust from your gaming cartridge, or pop the question to a significant other or a person who you'd like to make your significant other. The DVD lets you relive your tricks and maneuvers for years to come—or until the DVD gets replaced by digital-VHS in 2019.
iFly's wind tunnel simulates skydiving by suspending you only a few feet off the ground. It's a safe way to enjoy the thrillcitement and spectaculation that's normally associated with skydiving. iFly is open to people of any age (check fine print for physical restrictions), so round up your Girl Scout Troop, bridge club, or oil-refinery fan club to have potentially one of the 20 best experiences of your life.
- You must go or your life will remain empty and devoid of meaning! j/k If you are too chicken to do the real thing, then iFly is an exhilarating substitute for throwing care to the wind and jumping out of an airplane. – Geraldine K., Yelp
- All the kids had a great time and even some of the parents flew and got to join in on the fun. The staff was extremely helpful, not only with the flying but also with the party room set up, catering, and keeping ten 13 year olds in check. :) – jessfue, Citysearch
- i heard about this place from a friend so i convinced my boyfriend to take me there valentines weekend. it was so much fun!!! i am addicted now, can 't wait to go back. it really feels like you are sky diving. – adventure007, Citysearch
A Wish For Wings That Work
The iFly experience is valuable for those who will be drafted in the millennium’s inevitable atmosphere wars, but how does it measure up to the real thing?
Peter Pan says:
- iFly is a great way for folks to experience realistic flight without thinking happy thoughts, which have been kind of hard to come by lately, what with accidentally closing Tinkerbell in the dryer last week.
- For the last time, I’m not Superman. Look, my name is Kal-I mean, Clark Kent, I’m a reporter for a newspaper, I forget what they’re called. The Daily something, you can Google it. I’m a real reporter there, who does reporter things. Can’t you see that I’m wearing glasses? Name one time that Superman wore glasses, besides last week when I accidentally…I have to go, there’s a volcano erupting in Guadalajara. No, I won’t explain how I know that.
Mary Poppins says:
- iFly is the perfect place to hold a tea party on the ceiling, or simply float unencumbered by your mouthy umbrella, for a change. Now if you’re done asking silly questions, I’ve written a song for you, it’s called “The Times They Are A-Changin’.”
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
At iFLY, "indoor flying" means something way cooler than jumping on your bed at home. There are helmets involved. Here's how it works: you show up, suit up, and go through an orientation lesson with expert instructors before lifting off in an air column powered by giant fans. The column is forceful enough to simulate the experience of freefalling through the sky, even though flyers are just a few feet off the ground. As with outdoor skydiving, the freefall experience lasts for about a minute but with the earn your wings package flyers get two flights, and may be able to execute turns and tricks at the instructor's discretion.