Artistic expression can take the form of a vibrant painting, a stunning sculpture, or front-yard hedges trimmed into the shape of longing. Let creativity blossom with today’s Groupon to The Jacksonville Center for the Arts in Floyd. Choose from the following options:
- For $110, you get a two-day beginning-blacksmithing course (a $220 value). Choose from the following:
- Beginning Blacksmithing OnDemand
- Next-Step Blacksmithing OnDemand
- Modern Metalsmithing OnDemand
- Beginning Blacksmithing, February 18–19
- Forging Spoons, October 6–7
Fall Colors: Enameled Steel Leaves, October 27–28<p>
- For $165, you get a three-day intermediate animal-sculpting blacksmithing course (a $330 value). Choose from the following:
- The Steel Menagerie: Dragons, Tigers and Bears, oh My!, June 22–24
Fundamentals at the Forge, July 4–6<p>
- For $290, you get a five-day kitchenware-blacksmithing course, Forging Home: Blacksmithing Kitchenware, June 4–8 (a $580 value)
The Jacksonville Center for the Arts’ smithy rattles and clangs daily as metalworkers of all levels absorb blacksmithing knowledge. In the Beginning Blacksmithing course, master blacksmiths hammer home the fundamentals of safety before helping students create basic implements such as hooks, tools, and steel spacesuits, depending on the two-day course chosen. The intermediate, three-day Steel Menagerie: Dragons, Tigers and Bears, Oh My! course comprises two days of teaching apprentices how to make their own sets of detailed sculpting tools. The final day finds chisel-handed intermediates shaping metal into a striking animal head.
Over the course of five days in the Forging Home: Blacksmithing Kitchenware class, beginning smiths forge colonial kitchenware and ironclad blenders like those once used by pilgrims. No prior experience is required for hammering out forks, trivets, and ladles during the seminar.
220 Parkway Ln. S
Floyd, Virginia 24091