What You'll Get
History museums' acquisitions always instill wonder in children who have become bored with their own closets full of skeletons. Discover a body of knowledge with today's Groupon to the Japanese American National Museum, located in historic Little Tokyo. Choose one of the following Groupons:
- For $125, you get a Supporting membership (a $300 value), valid for one year.
- For $4, you get a one-day admission (up to a $9 value).
Rated “very highly recommended” by Frommer’s, the Smithsonian-affiliated Japanese American National Museum is one of the largest museums in the United States dedicated to sharing the untold stories, the fascinating culture, and the rich history of Japanese Americans. With more than 60,000 artifacts and a rotation series of exhibitions, the Japanese American National Museum offers hours of information displays, including the current Zen Garage exhibit. Holding an array of public programs, film screenings, arts-and-crafts workshops, and cooking seminars throughout the year, the Japanese American National Museum was recently awarded the 2010 Institute of Museums and Library Services’ National Medal, the nation's highest honor for museums and its second-highest honor for monocle-wearing intellectual dolphins. Those purchasing the Supporting membership will receive discounts on museum store items, and film, concert, lecture, and workshop tickets, as well as the following:
- Unlimited admission to the museum, plus two guests when accompanied by the member
- Invitations to members’ exhibition openings
- Admission to other participating museums.
- Members-only mailings, including a subscription to inspire magazine.
- Museum e-newsletter subscription
- Special members-only discounts at participating businesses
- Access to the Hirasaki National Resource Center.
- Opportunity to join the museum’s volunteer program
- Four-person admission and private tour of the museum’s Common Ground: The Heart of Community exhibition by appointment.
The Japanese American National Museum offers discounts for students, seniors, and youth, and occasionally offers free admission, so be sure to visit the website before planning a trip. Children under 5 are admitted at no charge.
The Japanese American National Museum is Very Highly Recommended by Frommer's. Zagat reviewed the museum and rated the appeal, facilities, and service as very good to excellent. The museum is a 10Best Editor's Pick, and Yelpers give it a 4.5-star average rating.
- The permanent and rotating exhibits chronicle Japanese life in the United States, highlighting distinctive aspects of Japanese-American culture ranging from the internment camp experience during the early years of World War II to the lives of Japanese Americans in Hawaii. The experience is made even more poignant by the personal accounts of the docents, many of whom are elderly Japanese-American citizens who were interned in these camps during the war. – Frommer's
- The experience will warm your heart, educate your mind, and bring a tear to your eye! – Richard T., Yelp
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jul 29, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 membership/person, may buy multiple as gifts. Limit 1 ticket/person, may buy 4 add'l as gifts. Must activate membership by 7/28/11, expires 1 year from activation date. Valid only for option purchased. New members only. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.