Choose Between Two Options
- $35 for one-day classic juice cleanse ($60 value)
- $18 for three Groupons, each good for $10 toward juices, smoothies, and protein shakes ($30 total value)
Four Things to Know About Protein Shakes
Many weight-loss regimens swear by the wonderful elixirs known as protein shakes. Here’s a basic rundown of why protein shakes can be part of an effective program.
1. Losing weight is (mostly) about intake. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume. There are two ways to accomplish this: reduce the number of calories you take in or burn calories through physical activity. By filling in for certain meals, protein shakes can reduce your total calorie intake, thus helping you lose weight.
2. Protein shakes can help with your diet. Protein (and exercise, for that matter) reduces levels of the hunger-stimulating hormone ghrelin, resulting in a lower appetite. This gives you a longer-lasting full feeling that can help stave off cravings for foods high in sugar and fat.
3. Protein shakes are not a substitute for healthy eating. Merely increasing your protein intake—whether it’s via shakes or whole foods—will not lead to weight loss alone. As always, an effective weight-loss program combines healthy eating and exercise.