What You'll Get
Jump to: Reviews | Popular Sodas of Yesteryear
Today's Groupon gets you in on a 60-year Houston family tradition that doesn't involve mowing Astroturf: $20 of bigger-than-Texas sandwiches and other comestibles at the award-winning and recently renovated Kahn's Deli for $10.
Being a traditional deli, Kahn's major claim to fame is its sandwiches, particularly its "world famous" reubens ($9.49–$14.99). If the regular Reuben (corned beef, swiss, cheddar, sauerkraut, mustard, and homemade Russian dressing on rye) isn't gigantic enough for you, you can always get the Biggio (with grilled Vienna knockwurst instead of corned beef) or the Olajuwon (corned beef and knockwurst). Other signature sandwiches include the world famous hot pastrami on your choice of bread ($9.49–$11.99) and the Marcia (mesquite smoked turkey breast, melted swiss, cranberry sauce, mayo, lettuce, and tomato on wheat, $8.49). Sports fans will find no less than seven sandwiches that finally allow them to indicate team preference through eating, including the Astros buffalo chicken with provolone, lettuce, tomato, and ranch or bleu cheese on ciabatta bread ($6.99).
Beyond edibles that can be encased in fresh bread, Kahn's also offers lunch special combos, breakfasts, salads, soups, and hard-to-find soft drinks such as Mexican Coke (made with cane sugar, $2.50), Original Dr. Pepper (also cane sugar, $2.50), Pepper's age-old nemesis Dr. Brown ($1.55), and fizzy Izzy ($3). One Groupon is good for two people, so you can easily buy enough to treat the whole clan while basking in free WiFi. Given the size of the sandwiches, you can be sure there will be leftovers. Kahn's is open seven days a week until 9 p.m.
- In Short – The bona fide kosher-style food is the true draw to this Village mainstay. Constructed around sandwiches, the simple menu features all the favorites a transplanted New Yorker could ask for. – The Editor, Citysearch
- I love this place!! The sandwiches have always been mouth watering and fantastic, but with the recent renovation it is now so comfortable to enjoy my meal. – lunchspecial, Citysearch
- Sandwiches as big as your head! Wonderful deli that has Houston roots dating back to the 1950's. You get your moneys worth at this place. – Brandon F., Insider Pages
- I have had only good experiences at this deli- although I must admit that I am enamored with their reubens. – insearchofyum, Citysearch
Popular Sodas of Yesteryear
Kahn’s stocks a variety of hard-to-find soda. Here are some rare, old-timey sodas that even Kahn’s is not likely to carry:
- Crying Donkey Cola
- Pepsi, Jr., for babies
- Doctor’s Orders Caffeinated Meal Replacement and Rubella Inoculation
- Feelin’ Fine! The Soda That’s Really Wine!
- Smooooth, the lemon soda with pieces of real velvet in every sip
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires May 11, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Must redeem in single visit. No cash value. Not valid with other offers. Tax not included. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.