Before magazines, townsfolk kept up with current events by gossiping with the milkmaid or tickling secrets out of the town crier. Stay informed easily with today's Groupon: for $23 you get a six-month online subscription to E-Star from the Kansas City Star (a $47.70 value).
The Kansas City Star's hard-hitting journalism has netted seven Pulitzer Prizes over its distinguished 130-year history and expanded into cyberspace through its E-Star service. Readers can peruse the award-winning daily food section and the investigative neighborhood-news section that keeps an eye on metro Kansas City happenings and elementary-school slang. On Sunday, readers can peruse C.W. Gusewelle’s news column, take roll call of the print’s catalog of comics, and keep tabs on their stocks with the business section. The E-Star navigation program displays articles exactly as they would appear in print, and allows user to easily flip through pages, resize windows for larger text, and print favorite pages to create papier-mâché samurai swords out of the lifestyle section.
"Kansas City Star"
The Kansas City Star's hard-hitting journalism has netted eight Pulitzer Prizes over its distinguished 130-year history and expanded into cyberspace through its website, KansasCity.com. Fat Sunday editions, meanwhile, are glutted with rich content, including C.W. Gusewelle’s news column, a spread of color comics, and the ever-popular coupons and sales ads.
- 1931 Pulitzer Prize – A.B. MacDonald for articles about a murder in Amarillo, Texas
- 1933 Pulitzer Prize – Editorial Writing
- 1944 Pulitzer Prize – Henry Haskell for Editorial Writing
- 1952 Pulitzer Prize – Coverage of the Great Flood of 1951
- 1954 Pulitzer Prize – Alvin Scott McCoy's local reporting coverage that led to the resignation of C. Wesley Roberts as Republican National Chairman
- 1982 Pulitzer Prize – Local news reporting of the Hyatt Regency walkway collapse (along with the Kansas City Times)
- 1982 – Rick Atkinson (of the Kansas City Times) for national reporting for a series on the West Point Class of 1968
- 1992 Pulitzer Prize – National reporting by Jeff Taylor and Mike McGraw's critical examination of the U.S. Department of Agriculture