All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
Reviewed May 28, 2014
Reviewed November 1, 2013
Reviewed June 13, 2013
What You'll Get
Climb atop a meated, vegetabled, and perfectly crusted cheese plateau and tromp among its flavors with this Groupon: $15 for $30 worth of pizza, drinks, and Mediterranean fare at La Bocca Urban Pizzeria & Wine Bar in Tempe. La Bocca's pizza is handmade with organic flour and rises for 24 hours before it's topped with fresh toppings and baked in a brick oven. The resulting crust is "paper-thin in the middle and thick, chewy, and slightly charred toward the edges. Just like we like it," according to Phoenix Magazine.
La Bocca's menu boasts bruschetta, salads, and sandwiches, along with the seven specialty pizzas, such as the Sicily with Schreiner's sausage, sundried tomatoes, and goat cheese ($13) and the Porco with pulled pork, Serrano chilies, and fresh mozzarella ($13). The Arizona Republic recommends a mushroom pizza or the sandwiches, which have inventive twists such as mustard and caramelized apples on a turkey and Brie ($9).
The drink menu has red and white sangria and more than 25 types of wine by the glass or bottle (plus more than 190 types of ice). Service at the restaurant is friendly and attentive, and the trendy and contemporary décor makes it a hip spot "for the mature set to mingle," says Phoenix Magazine.
- La Bocca brings a slightly more upscale dining option to the area, not only because of its warm, contemporary décor, but also because of its menu. When you're looking for an alternative to beer, burgers, and tacos, here's a place where you can sip wine, nibble on bruschetta, and eat artisan pizzas with gourmet toppings. – Michele Laudig, Phoenix New Times
- I got a taste of it when it first opened and was impressed with the wood-fired pizza and nosh plates, so no one had to twist my arm to try it again . . . and again. It's quickly becoming a favorite. – Geri Koeppel, AZCentral.com
- Urban, hip and casual...La Bocca is going for a different crowd – the slightly more mature diner who appreciates a glass of wine with their thin-crusted, brick-oven pizza. Thank goodness the pizza is actually good. – Phoenix Magazine
- La Bocca Urban Pizzeria & Wine Bar is a little bit classier than most Mill Ave. spots...The pretty atmosphere made me pleasantly surprised that the menu items are so reasonably priced... The pizza is my favorite type—soft and flaky dough and gooey mozzarella. – nickiescudero, Metromix
- La Bocca is a trendy, hip spot that serves artisan pizzas and wine. Although both are splendid, I fell in love with the fig and prosciutto brushetta [sic]. It was beyond delicious – Ohmilee, Metromix
- Everything I've ever ordered has been awesome, fresh and very tasty. The service is excellent, even during the lunch hour rush. Some really unique dishes and salads that are to die for. – Dianne, Urbanspoon
Is Your Roommate a Zombie?
The organic flour used by La Bocca Urban Pizzeria rises for 24 hours before coming to life, much in the same way zombies require 24 hours before rising and coming to life. Unfortunately, zombies can be easily misidentified as very sleepy people, and vice versa. Here’s a guide to recognizing whether your roommate has turned into a flesh-craving monster or just stayed out too late:
IF: Your roommate is of ghostly pallor and begins shuffling towards you, fingers grasping toward your skull with unreasonable strength. THEN: Get that roommate some rest! That’s no zombie, just the trademark sickly skin color, shambling walk, and desire for greasy foods that are part and parcel of partying too hard.
IF: Your roommate loses his ability to speak, is unable to keep his flesh attached to his body, and is increasingly associating with similar groups of barely sentient rotting hordes. THEN: Your roommate is pledging a fraternity!
IF: Your roommate looks sleepy and vows to “go to bed earlier.” THEN: Your roommate is a dracula. Maybe a zombie dracula.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Oct 27, 2010. Amount paid never expires. 1 per person, multiple as gifts. 1 Groupon for every 2 people at table. Not valid for happy hour, daily specials, or with other offers. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About La Bocca Urban Pizzeria
At La Bocca Urban Pizzeria, preparations for pizza crusts start a full day before they hit the brick oven. Chefs knead organic dough by hand, watch it rise for 24 hours, and then top the crusts with gourmet, locally procured ingredients such as Queen Creek Olive Mill olives, Schreiner’s Fine Sausages meat, and housemade pulled pork.
The rest of the Mediterranean-inspired menu proves equally indulgent. Chefs layer bruschetta planks with fig and smoked prosciutto and toss pastas with housemade sauces and meatballs molded from grass-fed beef. To grant molars breaks from the rigors of chewing, servers are happy to recommend pairings from the drink menu, which features handcrafted cocktails, European and Arizonan wines, and award-winning sangria.