Visitors can explore the only working lighthouse in Louisiana during a museum visit which includes a guided tour
About This Deal
- What’s included: The New Canal Lighthouse Museum admission and guided tour
- Free admission for children under 6
- Docent-led tours available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Amenities: gift shop
About Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation
Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation is a non-profit organization focused on supporting environmental sustainability in the Pontchartrain Basin region. The foundation aims to educate about current environmental projects and research as well as preserves the material heritage of the area.
The prime example of a historical site that this organization caters to is The New Canal Lighthouse, the only operating lighthouse in Louisiana. Severely damaged by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, it was rebuilt using the original wood from the 1890s. Serving as a museum and an education center, this landmark sheds light on how the light, the coast, and the lake blended together.
- The Building: 49-feet high, this structure was constructed using only wood.
- Leave Your Mark: Visitors may purchase a personalized brick or a bench which will be installed on the sidewalk or the promenade nearby.