Since the days of the Ancient Greeks, humanity has tested its limits with wide-ranging feats of endurance such as marathons, triathlons, and cross-country discount bus journeys. Put your mind and body to the ultimate test with today's Groupon: for $25, you get a registration for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program (a $100 value). While they raise money to benefit cures for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, and myeloma, registrants receive coaching, training, travel arrangements, and fundraising assistance for one of the following events:
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend January 7 and 8, 2012, in Orlando
- PF Chang's Rock 'n Roll Marathon Series Phoenix January 15, 2012, in Phoenix
- Hike the Grand Canyon: Date TBA, May 2012
- America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride: century ride at Lake Tahoe on June 3, 2012
- Rock 'n Roll Marathon Series San Diego June 3, 2012, in San Diego
- Mayor’s Anchorage Marathon and Half Marathon June 23, 2012, in Alaska
- Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon June 23, 2012, in Loveland, Colorado
To benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the Team in Training has organized, coached, and supported more than 500,000 participants who have walked half-marathons, run marathons, and cycled century rides to raise donations for blood-cancer research that have amounted to more than $1 billion. The Mid-America Chapter trains registrants in the Johnson County area on Saturdays for four–five months to prepare for a test of human endurance on a par with watching all 63 seasons of Meet the Press on DVD.
Once registrants have chosen their event, they chart a personalized fitness course with a certified trainer. Team in Training also equips registrants with fundraising clinics and a personalized website. For participants who meet their fundraising goals, the team supplies logistics and arrangements, which include airfare, hotel accommodation, race entry, apparel, two meals, bike shipping, wetsuit for chilly waters, and a rocket pack for the lunar relays that now replace the swimming portion of most triathlons.