What You'll Get
In his famous classical conditioning experiment, Ivan Pavlov proved that it’s physically impossible for a Russian scientist's mouth not to water when it says the words “butternut-squash risotto.” Moisten your own pasta receptacle with today’s Groupon: for $20, you get $40 worth of contemporary Italian Cuisine at Lia’s in Chevy Chase. Your Groupon is good toward brunch, lunch, dinner, and drinks.
This sophisticated and inviting establishment is the hatchling of master restaurateur and rhyme master, Chef Geoff Tracy. He’s built a menu with great latitude, covering a wide variety of dishes served throughout the day. Sunday brunch features classic egg dishes such as steak and eggs (NY strip, sunny-side-up eggs, and golden Yukon hash, $18.95) and lunchier sandwiches like Lia’s burger with tomato, pancetta, sautéed onion, and provolone ($10.95). Take a lunch break to the Mediterranean with a big salad ($13.95–$16.95) such as the crispy calamari caesar (with tomato, prosciutto, scallions, and grana padano) or a feta, black olive, tomato, and pepperoncini pizza pie ($12.95). Check out the hours each menu is offered here.
Dinner entrees include yellowfin tuna (with autumn faro ratatouille, $26.95), roasted duck breast ($25.95), and sherry-glazed salmon ($21.95), among many others. There’s a special menu for kids as well as a special drink menu for adults featuring wines and cocktails galore. Socialize while you sip in the quaint sophistication at Lia’s. Relax on the large outdoor seating area, soon to reopen once the sun gets its act together, or in the tall-ceilinged interior complete with an artful display of wines, pristine table settings, and transparent windows. The restaurant is also conveniently located near tons of great Chevy Chase and Friendship Heights shopping to satisfy appetites worked up during sprees.
- An offshoot of the Chef Geoff's modern-American restaurants but inspired by owner Geoff Tracy's tasting tour through trattorias of the old country (the name is half of "Italia"), Lia's obeys the prime directive of Italian cooking: Get the best ingredients and get out of the way. Let there be light! – Eve Zibart, Washington Post
- He’s branched out into the ’burbs to offer a family-style, Italian-themed restaurant that absolutely bubbles with gatherings and friendly chatter. Divided into two dining rooms and a bar area, Lia’s sets a neighborly tone: the friendly staff gets you settled and fed with sure-footed ease. We also like the menu choices, with enough low- and high-cal options to satisfy the whole crew...And note that few Italian places around town take the time and effort to offer Italian cheesecake made with ricotta, and that’s one of Lia’s special desserts. – Gayot
- If you are looking for a great Italian meal, this is the place to go. – Alex C., Yelp
- The food is fresh, tasty and well-made. The dining room is welcoming and bustling with energy. The entire staff is super-friendly (everyone smiles), plus they are very attentive and knowledgeable. – Open Table user who dined on 2/11/10
- Excellent and original salad / starter choice. Superb Osso Bucco! Reception and wait staff wonderful. a fun dining experience. – Open Table user who dined on 2/26/10
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Sep 17, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per table. Tax and gratuity not included. Limit 2 per person. Not valid with other offers, Happy Hour, or Twilight Delight. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.