Though it is illegal for pranksters to shout about nonexistent fires in a theater, shrieking after an encounter with an underseat gum wad is permissible. Shout about what's on stage instead with today's Groupon: for $20, you get two tickets to see String of Pearls (up to a $40 value), produced by the Angels Theatre Company, at the Lincoln Community Playhouse on South Fifty-Sixth Street. Choose from the following 10 shows:
- Friday, February 18 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, February 19 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 20 at 2 p.m.
- Sunday, February 20 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 23 at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, February 24 at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, February 25 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, February 26 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 27 at 2 p.m.
Angels Theatre Company is a woman-focused community theater group dedicated to producing original works and providing artistic opportunities to Lincoln talent. String of Pearls, a co-production with the Lincoln Community Playhouse, explores the diversity of women's lives through uplifting and tragic times with a pearl necklace as the common link. Beth, a woman who has lost her husband and daughter, is desperate to find a string of pearls to give to her granddaughter on her wedding night, putting her at odds with militant oysters who are hell-bent on reclaiming their self-made treasures. The necklace’s journey touches the lives of 27 women over 35 years, similar to the ancient Greek legend of the nomadic Herakles knot.
String of Pearls mix of humor and poignancy unfolds at the Lincoln Community Playhouse, a Lincoln institution with a history of providing audience-enrapturing community theater productions for more than 65 years.
- Executive Director Morrie Enders brings with him to the Lincoln Community Playhouse palpable enthusiasm and excitement as LCP opened its 65th season with his smashing production of "Hairspray," which played to a sold-out house Friday evening. – Elizabeth Govaerts, Lincoln Journal Star