What You'll Get
Choose from Six Options
- $59 for one month of unlimited mixed martial-arts classes ($177 value)
- $159 for three months of unlimited mixed martial-arts classes ($531 value)
- $59 for one month of unlimited cross-training classes ($177 value)
- $159 for three months of unlimited cross-training classes ($531 value)
- $19 for five cardio-kickboxing classes ($75 value)
- $29 for one month of unlimited cardio-kickboxing classes ($80 value)
Three Things to Know About Kickboxing
Kickboxing is a popular form of competitive fighting, but it really encompasses many different combat disciplines. Read on to learn more about this martial arts—and fitness—mainstay.
1. Kickboxing is many disciplines in one, incorporating moves and techniques from many martial arts. Punches, kicks, elbows, clinches, and takedowns are all fair game. As such, styles can vary widely among martial-arts purists, boxers, and fighters who work to cultivate a unique approach.
2. Its versatility translates well to fitness. Kickboxing balances upper- and lower-body flexibility with cardiovascular exercise, making for an effective full-body workout. Practitioners also get the benefit of learning self-defense techniques, getting a leg up on their peers who only know how to chuck a treadmill at an attacker.
3. It’s not that old. Kickboxing is quite popular in Thailand, which is also home to Muay Thai—a form of boxing, practiced as a regulated sport since the late 19th century, in which fighters don gloves and other pads. In 1966, a Japanese karate promoter became infatuated with Muay Thai—and particularly the full-contact striking that’s not allowed in karate—and saw an opportunity to blend the styles. He prepared three karate fighters to take on Muay Thai specialists, and the competition was fierce enough to inspire the birth, a few years later, of kickboxing as an organized sport.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 120 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Registration required. Must be 14 or older. Younger than 18 must have guardian-signed waiver. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Valid only for option purchased. All goods or services must be used by the same person. Five cardio kickboxing classes must be used within 1 month from first class. May be repurchased every 30 days. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.