Today's Groupon is a man dressed as a woman feeding you food. You get $50 worth of food for $25 at Lips, a "drag diner" where men dressed in high heels, bras, skirts, dresses, and women's goalie masks wait your table and put on wildly entertaining drag shows. You get $50 worth of pasta, seafood, poultry, and anything else on the menu, plus drinks such as Lips' famous frozen cosmopolitan.
Drag shows at Lips are different six nights a week, and can be anything from classic celebrity impersonations with lip-synching to drag bingo. It's a popular place for bachelorette parties, birthday celebrations, anniversaries, and confusing your dad.
The menu has vegetarian fare such as the Devine (a plate full of grilled vegetables), salads such as the Varla Jean Merman (fresh mozzarella with vine-ripened tomatoes and pesto drizzled in Balsamic vinaigrette on a bed of mixed greens), pastas such as Ophelia (fresh seafood over linguini), and poultry including the Ru Paul (grilled chicken breast with roasted potatoes and grilled zucchini in a sundried tomato sauce). Entree prices range from $12 to $24.
Lips' Moulin Rouge–influenced decor is as bright, beautiful, and filled with sparkles as the staff. There are giant martini glasses, a gold-framed stage, black-and-white striped wallpaper, and photos and memorabilia of drag legends. Cover, which is not included in this Groupon, is $5 Thursday through Saturday and $3 Sunday through Wednesday (Lips is closed on Mondays), and there is a minimum food purchase of $15 per person Thursday through Saturday and $10 per person Sunday through Wednesday. (The Groupon value will be deducted from the total bill, so you can share it with a friend and both meet the minimum.) Children are allowed, but not recommended, and late night shows (after 9 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays) are for 21 and up only.
- Outrageously gaudy, from boa-covered lamps to glitter galore, this restaurant's decor scheme is like an exploded drag queen's hope chest. The crowd--a mix of gay men, girls-night-out groups, unsuspecting straight bachelors and even the occasional eight-year-old--gawk as the 'girls' do their thing. – Tara Lis, Citysearch
- The West Coast branch of a New York drag nightclub-cum-restaurant is great fun...order the Samantha sampler (a generous array of crab cakes, chicken tenders, fried zucchini, coconut shrimp and bruschetta), the grilled vegetable platter (including eggplant, red bell peppers and squash drizzled with a balsamic reduction), or perhaps a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries. – Gayot
- What incredible energy and great fun. Bawdy, off color and hilarious. Great adult fun. Extreme energy from performers and they are your waitresses as well - very snappy and funny. Food is delicous [sic]. – drtim, TripAdvisor
- wasnt sure what to expect but we came away entertained... the show was beyond awesome and our host Liza was the best. – caitlynsdad, TripAdvisor
- It seriously was the BEST birthday celebration I've ever had:) I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt! – asec04, TripAdvisor
Arms, The Drag Club with a Difference
While Lips continues to be the dominate the drag-dining market, many competitors continue to pop up. The most recent drag-dining competitor, Arms, attempted to one-up Lips, but failed miserably. Here’s the radio ad that’s directly responsible for Arms going out of business, as read by its owner Peter Schearhorn:
- Hi, do you love watching baseball? If you do, then you’re going to love coming to Arms to watch men dressed as women dressed as men dressed as attorneys dressed as pool players dressed as babies dressed as woman-Santas dressed as Sissy Spacek dressed as a pine tree dressed as jealousy dressed as women dressed as slightly smaller women. Come to Arms—the drag club of the future for fans of baseball.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
3036 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, California 92104Get Directions