All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
Reviewed August 22, 2013
What You'll Get
Click above to buy tickets for $49 main floor (rows NN-TT) tickets to Faust on Tuesday, 10/20/09 at 7:30 p.m. Click the links below for other dates and seating locations
- Buy here for $49 main floor (rows GG-MM) tickets to Faust on 10/8 at 2:00 p.m.
- Buy here for $75 main floor (rows B-AA) tickets to Faust on 10/8 at 2:00 p.m.
- Buy here for $49 main floor (rows GG-MM) tickets to Faust on 10/14 at 7:30 p.m.
- SOLD OUT for $49 main floor (rows GG-MM) tickets to Faust on Tuesday 10/20/09 at 7:30 p.m.
- SOLD OUT for $49 main floor (rows BB-FF) tickets to Faust on Tuesday, 10/20/09 at 7:30 p.m.
- SOLD OUT for $75 main floor (rows B-AA) tickets to Faust on 10/20 at 7:30 p.m.
- SOLD OUT for $49 main floor (rows BB-FF) tickets to Faust on 10/23 at 2 p.m.
- Buy here for $75 main floor (rows B-AA) tickets to Faust on 10/23 at 2 p.m.
- Buy here for $49 main floor (rows GG-MM) tickets to Faust on 10/30 at 7:30 p.m.
- SOLD OUT for $49 main floor (rows GG-MM) tickets to Faust on 11/3 at 7:30 p.m.
- SOLD OUT for $49 main floor (rows BB-FF) tickets to Faust on 11/3 at 7:30 p.m.
- SOLD OUT for $75 main floor (rows B-AA) tickets to Faust on 11/3 at 7:30 p.m.
- Buy here for $49 main floor (rows NN-TT) tickets to Faust on 11/3 at 7:30 p.m.
|_Jump to: Reviews||Popular Soul Exchanges_|
You don’t have to promise your eternal soul to Satan for a ticket to lush costumes, magical scenery, and some of the world’s best opera singers not performing on cruise ships. Today’s Groupon gets you a main floor ticket to the Lyric Opera’s production of Faust. Choose between the first 22 rows on the main floor (B-AA) for $75 ($194 value, 61% discount) or main floor rows GG-MM for $49 ($158 value, 69% discount). Check out Lyric Opera’s seating chart to survey your options. Bring your least favorite Mickey Mantle glass sculpture to see if breathtaking soprano Ana Maria Martinez can break it with her powerful and emotive voice or her powerful and emotive fists.
Lyric Opera’s acclaimed productions always sell out, so act fast to see one of the most beloved operas of all time. This classic tale of devilish deeds is perfect for opera buffs and novices alike. Aged philosopher Faust makes a deal with the devil: he sacrifices his eternal soul to hell in order to be young again. The downward spiral of seduction, madness, and death that follows is an eerie treat for the Halloween season. The otherworldly music and masterful singing talent will haunt you for months. Though the lyrics are sung in French, Lyric Opera’s English translations are projected so you can follow the story without missing a moment of the dazzling visual spectacle.
Show off to your friends and to people you met at a singles mixer with a classy tweet about the opera house, or scoff at your coworkers’ weekend plans. Bring your theatrical theologians and musical mail carriers as a thoughtful thanks for their service. Put down your Guitar Hero for a few hours and get your opera on—it’ll make your mom proud and justify your decision to move from Kansas to Chicago to Appleton to Des Moines to Eau Claire to Chicago to experience more culture.
Reviews of past productions abound in the New York Times archives, and even Yelpers who aren’t big opera fans give the Lyric five stars. Travels guides and sources all over the web praise the musicians, production quality, and venue: > * Talented musicians and performers satisfy opera devotees, while newcomers are often swept away by all the grandeur (English supertitles make it easy to follow the action…don’t be scared off by the snooty factor; audiences here are relatively casual (to the dismay of all those opera snobs). – Frommer’s > * The big voices of the opera world star in these top-flight productions. This is one of the top two opera companies in America today…All of the superb performances have sold out for more than a dozen years… – Fodor’s Travel > * The Civic Opera Building is a majestic limestone skyscraper with a 45-story office tower and two 22-story wings. Shaped like a gigantic throne facing the Chicago River between Washington and Madison streets, it was completed after just 22 months of planning and construction. – Chicago Traveler
Popular Soul Exchanges
Faust sells his soul to the devil, which is quickly becoming a popular activity. Here are the five most common desires exchanged for souls:
- Eternal youth to catch up on Sopranos DVDs
- Functional hoverboard
- Your own genie
- Guest starring on The Rockford Files
- Moon ownership
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Oct 21, 2009. Amount paid never expires. Limit 10 per person. Valid only for 7:30pm show on 10/20/09. Redeem ticket at will call night of show. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Founded: 1954
- Home: Civic Opera House, a masterpiece of art deco and art nouveau design opened in 1929
- Mission: to engage audiences with classic operas, lesser-known gems, and new works
- Famous performers: Pavarotti, Maria Callas, dancer Rudolf Nureyev, Plácido Domingo, Marilyn Horne, Frederica von Stade, and Renée Fleming have all graced the stage