Cubicle-dwellers, brassy librarians, and off-duty millionaire impersonators can all enjoy an unpretentious meal 'n' mingle in an Old City setting with today’s deal. For $10, you'll get $25 worth of drinks and upscale pub fare at Mad River Bar & Grille. Leave your fancy pants in your fancy pants storage unit: Mad River prides itself on a casual-yet-fashionable atmosphere where young professionals can chow down, watch sports, and make friends that can last a night or more.
Bring your appetite and sample Mad River's hugely portioned board of fare, which features items such as angus beef sliders ($9), ahi tuna salad ($10), and angry chicken quesadillas ($9), as well as Mad River originals such as duck tacos ($12) and skewers of tiger shrimp, flank steak, and marinated chicken breast ($10). All of these dishes pair well with a Penn State game on the bar’s many TV screens and a few fellow alumni.
If your appetite tends more toward the alcoholic, Mad River has all of your favorite brews on tap or encased in handy portable glass cylinders. Show up Wednesday during happy hour for acoustic performances from local musicians and time-traveling Nordic skalds. But, singles, take note: Mad River has been described as Philly's Best Pick-Up Bar. So show up ready to bird dog and bring eight or nine completely blank little black books to fill up.
Citysearchers give Mad River an average of 4.5 stars:
- Always alot [sic] of people. People there just like to have fun.. Love this place! – tekkid
- Really fun for Penn State games. The staff is super nice and the food comes out in like 5 seconds. Get there early to get a good seat. – khenderson111
- It's been packed all summer with hot chicks. Anyone who isn't at the shore is here. The drinks are way cheaper then [sic] anywhere else in Old City. – elephantman14
Road Rage for the Refined
The first time we passed the Mad River, we misread their sign as "Mad Driver," but its possible that this misconception was colored by the fact that we were in the throws of a terrible road rage. The next time you fly off the handle at the wheel, ignore your baser instincts and consider using one of these somewhat more sophisticated road rage slanders.
- “Your purchase of this hybrid luxury SUV pays laughable lip-service to notions of long-term environmental sustainability.”
- “The DVDs on the back seat of your car indicate a poor awareness of how DVDs are cared for, as well as questionable taste in cinema. Madagascar 2, truly? Even if the intended recipient is a child (or children), surely they would be better served and delighted by the depth and richness of Cocteau’s 1946 masterpiece, La Belle et la Bête, or the surreal and challenging animation of La Planète Sauvage, both available from the Criterion Collection. For more suggestions, please e-mail me at [your email address].”
- “You drive like a Royalist might have, should the American Revolution have occurred in the age of automobiles… backwards!” (Note: Ellipses are thumbprints).
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Center City East
126 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106Get Directions