Though science has definitely concluded that food tastes 4% better during a full moon (occurring approximately once every 29.530588 days), you can rebel against science and fill up whenever you choose with today’s Groupon. For $15, you’ll get $30 worth of creative Thai cuisine at MangoMoon, plus one free cocktail per table.
Whet your appetite with a warm-up of nuts and herbal tea while you peruse the menu, an exotic assortment of entrees organized according to size. Start small and work your way up. The steamed egg dumplings ($6) are round sacks exploding with shrimp, ground pork, water chestnut, and cilantro root, and spiked with a savory oyster sauce. Or try the fruit salad ($5), a mouth-watering merge of guava, mango, sun-dried shrimp (the ocean's preferred fruit), and nuts tossed with palm sugar and tamarind sauce.
If your appetite’s waxing more than waning, opt for the medium entrees. Sea bass ($23) gets herbed, steamed, and wrapped in a mango-sauced banana leaf. You’ll find an interesting assortment of fish, beef, and poultry options all priced from $12 to $23. Redeem your table's one free cocktail with a bevy of specialty drink options that creatively combine exotic ingredients (mango and fresh lychee puree, lemongrass syrup) with high-quality liquors. MangoMoon (which has two dining floors decked out with modern, sleek inners) also boasts a bar that stays open until 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, so you can howl at the moon until your lungs are dry and flakey.
- Krapugthong's confident hand with her native seasoning also lights a fire of new interest beneath some common dishes: lending Blue Point oysters a tingly sour splash of chile-lime sauce; igniting "Bangkok" chicken wings in a fiery glaze that elicited a surprising yelp - "Wowie-zowie!" - from my demure guest. – Craig LaBan, Philadelphia Inquirer
- I couldn’t stop eating the sai auh, a Northern-style pork-and-rice sausage that Krapugthong makes from scratch and broils until blistered and crispy. – Adam Erace, Philadelphia Weekly
Werewolf Facts: Deep Cuts
Any pre-school aged mini-Van Helsing can tell you that werewolves emerge when the moon is full and bright in the sky, and can only be felled by a silver bullet. But there’s much more to werewolves than these basic trappings:
- Prefer the Grateful Dead album American Beauty to the 1999 film of the same name.
- Enjoy a glass of wine, now and then.
- Have one wolf lung, one human lung, and one supplementary lung considered to be “wild.”
- Received full-ride water-polo scholarship to Werewolf State.
- Most werewolf reports actually teenage bears going through a rough patch at home.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
4161 Main St
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19127Get Directions