What You'll Get
To function properly, the human body requires a steady stream of nutrients, sunlight, and compliments from other species about its opposable thumbs. Use your bendable digits to provide yourself with nutrients with today’s Groupon to four McClain Restaurant Group restaurants in historic Independence Square. Choose from five options:
- For $7, you get $15 worth of lunch at Ophelia's Restaurant & Inn.
- For $15, you get $30 worth of dinner at Ophelia's Restaurant & Inn.
- For $7, you get $15 worth of pizza and more at Square Pizza.
- For $8, you get $16 for burgers, beer, and more at The Court House Exchange.
- For $10, you get $20 worth of Italian-inspired cuisine at Cafe Verona.
Housed under the culinary umbrella of McClain Restaurant Group, four of Independence Square's brightest culinary stars amuse diners with a range of flavors and funky dining spaces. For a historic meal overlooking the Square, choose a sit-down lunch at Ophelia's Restaurant & Inn, where plates include the twisted quesadillas, which meld together cranberries, onions, peppers, and asiago cheese ($8). Ophelia's dinner menu, which can be sung aloud over live jazz, features the peppered K.C. strip jerky, a classic composition of soft pretzel bread, hot cracklins, and Boulevard Wheat mustard ($6), and the 16-ounce horseradish crusted rib eye, grilled to order and drizzled with port-wine reduction ($24).
Those looking to quell comfort food cravings may head to Square Pizza, where a yellow-walled dining room and a checkerboard floor serve as the backdrops to a diverse menu of pies. Build pizzas (starting at $10) in increments of 10, 12, or 14 inches, working with cheese, meat, and veggie raw materials. For a century-old spin on equally homey fare, head to The Court House Exchange bar and grill and sample one of its three trails burgers ($7.49) or a classic plate of Bailiff's fried chicken served with mashed potatoes, gravy, and coleslaw ($11.99). Stay late and order draft beers to fuel you as you watch the latest sport exhibitions or re-runs of well-known civil trials from the early 1900s.
Cafe Verona's menu of authentic Italian fare, wine list, and warmly lit dining room facilitate romance like a heartfelt love letter or heart-shaped box filled with fresh AA batteries. The eatery's signature jumbo shrimp scampi arrives at the table delicately bathing in parmesan-lobster broth risotto ($18.99).
The Internet is abuzz about these four restaurants. The Pitch featured Ophelia's Restaurant & Inn’s revival and 82% of Urbanspooners recommend it. Yahoo! Locals give Square Pizza an average of four stars, as do five Yelpers. Yelpers give Cafe Verona a 3.5-star average and 74% of Urbanspooners recommend The Court House Exchange.
- You would never expect a restaurant like this in Indep. The food is spectacular. I've never had a bad dish here. – Yummy Mummy, Ophelia's Restaurant & Inn, Urbanspoon
- I concur with the other reviewers. Cafe Verona really is a solid 4.5 stars. Why? Because it's incredible! – Susan N., Cafe Verona, Yelp, 8/12/2010
- Being familiar with the Square, I had not noticed this restaurant. I can't wait to introduce my family to this pizza. – Rhonda S., Square Pizza, Yelp, 6/5/2010
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Aug 9, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 3 per person. Limit 1 per table. Valid only for option & location purchased. Dine-in only. Reservation required for Ophelia's dinner option; not valid 2/11-14. Tax and gratuity not included. Not valid with other offers. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.