Today's Groupon teaches you to swat yellow balls like a pro for $45 at Midtown Athletic Club at Windy Hill (a $115 value). Over the course of six tennis classes in Midtown's three-week Tennis in No Time program, expert instructors whack your swing into shape. Don't have a racquet? Midtown will lend you one, and even offer to weld it in place of your dominant hand. You'll do cardio drills, learn how to serve, and perfect your backhand as you learn a skill that you can enjoy for the rest of your life. Each class includes one hour on the courts followed by a 30-minute summary. Tennis elbow probably won't develop, but you might find a future partner for doubles when you're rubbing elbows at Midtown's tennis mixers.
Today's Groupon also gets you access to the club (located at 135 Interstate N. Parkway NW) during the three weeks of your tennis session. Midtown Athletic Club has everything you need to tone up: cardiovascular equipment (with individual LCD flat-screens so you can check out what Dora is up to), extensive strength-training circuits, and a full array of free weights. You can also splash laps in one of Midtown's pools, or smuggle enough tennis balls into the pool to form an experimental raft.
Orientation is October 28, and lessons begin October 31. Call by October 27 to reserve your preferred class. Choose from Saturday and Sunday lessons, Monday and Wednesday lessons, and Tuesday and Thursday lessons offered throughout the day. There are also nursery privileges for your children.
Note: If the number of Groupon purchasers exceeds club capacity, participants will have the option of enrolling in a winter Tennis in No Time session or a comparable program.
- I began playing tennis here; and in an effort to dramatically improve my tennis game, I started personal training. Now with a personal trainer and a tennis coach working together to improve the weaknesses in my game and tailor my fitness program to work specific areas, my game continues to improve exponentially... I could not offer a higher recommendation than the team at this club! - tgb30004, Insider Pages
- If you are seriously into health and fitness, this facility is hard to beat. - Michael W., Insider Pages
- This club is not only the biggest and nicest, but has every kind of class and type of equipment any male or female could hope for...If you want to work out, drink, eat great food and have a social life, this is the place. – tinaleigh, Citysearch
Tennis Trash Talk
A few lessons of tennis will strengthen both your game and physique, but you need one more thing to be a true champion: baditude. Psych out your tennis opponent, and all life’s antagonists, with this devastating arsenal of prepared trash-talk and braggadocio:
- You call that a backhand? I’ve known automobile-assembling robots with more grace! Many of them have been great friends to me!
- Is that your racket, or did you repurpose a snowshoe? (Canadian opponents only)
- I hope you enjoy losing, Jerry! (Note: if your opponent is not named Jerry, this challenge actually becomes more effective because opponent begins to doubt your sanity. Take advantage of this uncertainty by spontaneously catching and devouring a dove.)
- Do you know what all these white lines mean? Because I’m hoping to effectively use them against you!
- Nice bottled water, Mister Millionaire!
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.