Choose from Two Options and Five Dates
- $19 for a museum visit, guided tour, and train ride for two ($40 value)
Visitors get to explore the interactive museum and take a tour of the rail yard and other sites, climbing aboard trains from the turn of the century. A train ride showcases the power of the engines. In October, guests tour a haunted car for thrills and frights. On Saturday, December 12 or 13, guests participate in the above activities. For these Groupons, however, Santa Claus presides over the 25-minute train ride.
This Groupon is valid on the following Saturdays and Sundays:
- October 10
- October 24
- November 14
- November 28
- December 12 (Ride with Santa!)
December 13 (Ride with Santa!)
- $249 for an “Engineer for a Day” course ($365 value)
Would-be engineers attend a three-hour course that cover locomotive operations. Once adequately trained, they spend 1.5 hours under the watchful eye of the instructor driving a locomotive, hooking up freight and moving it around the yard. Students leave with a certificate and a photograph.
Kids are free with adults that have a Groupon. Must wear toe-closed shoes. View detailed directions to the Midwest Railway Preservation Society here.
Midwest Railway Preservation Society
While most of Cleveland gets from point A to point B via automobile, the spirit of the locomotive is alive and well at Midwest Railway Preservation Society. A historical rail yard and the restored B&O Roundhouse serves as home base for the group's efforts, which includes restoring trains and educating the public at large. Here's some of what to expect once you cross to their side of the tracks.
- Eye Catcher: the bright red caboose at the entrance, which stands in contrast to the industrial complex's dark steel buildings
- Crown Jewels: restored passenger cars, steam locomotives, and a B&O boxcar, the showpiece of the rail yard
- Pro Tip: you might recognize the 1918 Locomotive 4070 steam engine—currently being restored—from its appearance in the 1984 Robert Redford film The Natural
- Special Programs: train rides and seasonal events throughout the year, including tours of a haunted train car in October
- Leave Your Mark: the society seeks volunteers to help out in the restoration of vintage locomotives and other pieces, no special experience necessary