During the eight-hour course, participants learn about boating laws, safety, navigation, and more
What You'll Get
This course is designed to familiarize the student with the fundamentals of safe boating and qualify for certification in New York and most states that require boating education before operating certain kinds of recreational watercraft. This basic boating knowledge course is fun and very thorough. It contains New York state-specific content approved by New York State. Many boat insurance companies will offer discounts on boating insurance to boaters who successfully complete America’s Boating Course.
- Course topics include:
- Introduction to Boating: types of power boats; sailboats; outboards; paddle boats; houseboats; different uses of boats; various power boating engines; jet drives; family boating basics.
- Boating Law: boat registration; boating regulation; hull identification number; required boat safety equipment; operating safely and reporting accidents; protecting the marine environment; Federal boat law; state boating laws; personal watercraft requirements.
- Boat Safety Equipment: personal flotation devices (“life jackets”); fire extinguishers; sound-producing devices; visual-distress signals; dock lines and rope; first aid kit; anchors and anchor lines; other boating safety equipment.
- Safe Boating: bow riding; alcohol and drug abuse; entering, loading, and trimming a boat; fueling portable and permanent tanks; steering with a tiller and a wheel; docking, undocking and mooring; knots; filing a float plan; checking equipment, fuel, weather and tides; using charts; choosing and using an anchor; safe PWC handling; general water safety.
- Navigation: the U.S. Aids to Navigation system; types of buoys and beacons; navigation rules (sometimes referred to as right-of-way rules); avoiding collisions; sound signals; PWC “tunnel vision.”
- Boating Problems: hypothermia; boating accidents and rescues; man overboard recovery; capsizing; running aground; river hazards; strainers: emergency radio calls; engine problems; equipment failures; carbon monoxide (CO); other boating and PWC problems.
- Trailering, Storing, and Protecting the Boat: types of trailers; trailer brakes, lights, hitches, tires, and bearings; loading, balancing, and towing (and backing) a trailer; boat launching and retrieving; boat storage and theft protection; launching, retrieving and storing a PWC. Hunting and Fishing, Water-skiing and River Boating: carrying hunting gear and weapons in a boat; fishing from a boat; water-skiing safety guidelines and hand signals; water-skiing with a PWC; navigating rivers, and other boating tips.
- Date of Class: Sunday June 2, 2019
- Length of Class: eight-hours
- Start Time: 9 a.m.
- Location: Miramar Yacht Club located at 3050 Emmons Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11235
- RSVP By: May 24, 2019
Click here to view the Introduction to Sailing Class offer.
The Fine Print
About Miramar Yacht Club
Miramar Yacht Club in conjunction with New York Sail and Power Squadron/America Boating Club® of New York is offering the Boater Education and Introductory Boater Safety Course Available: America's Boating Course - 3rd Edition
Sun sparkling on the waves, a breeze in your sails, and an ocean full of fish ready to bite. Miramar Yacht Club specializes in facilitating these kinds of perfect days on the water, for which the club maintains a fleet of well maintained sail boats perfect for a range of sailors, from experienced to beginner. Once you return to the dock, spend a few hours relaxing by the pool or reading a book in the shade.