What You'll Get
Acting classes teach students how to convincingly inhabit a character, a critical skill for aspiring film stars and identity thieves. Truly become Dr. Michael Waltien of Des Moines, Iowa, with this Groupon.
Choose Between Two Options
- $35 for an improv workshop and actor's intensive ($70 value)
- $59 for an improv workshop and actor's intensive with before-and-after footage ($120 value)
On Saturday, June 21, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., the workshop will help aspiring actors build confidence, learn tips for building a reel, and train in improv techniques. Each participant will get an opportunity for on-camera time, and the footage will be reviewed for missteps and successes. (Customers who opt for the second option will receive their uncut footage within two weeks after the class.) The workshop includes an after-class audition or pitch to produces, filmmakers, and other industry pros.
Four Things to Know About Movie Extras
Even the background roles of a movie undergo the careful process of casting. Read on to learn more about how working actors earn their roles.
1. Even Oscar winners started as extras. Many future stars—from Clint Eastwood to Brad Pitt and Renée Zellweger—began their careers as background actors.
2. In 1925, movie producers created a company just to hire extras. The Central Casting Corporation appealed to members because it provided them with a central location where they could find work—a much better deal than the grind of driving all around town to visit the studios in person. The company was so popular that it coined a phrase: when someone's perfect for a role, they're still said to be "right out of Central Casting."
3. The Internet has made the casting process much easier. Today, an actor can read a script, meet with directors, and send in an audition tape all over the Internet instantaneously—a huge shift from the days when actors sold themselves door-to-door just to have their role given to a case of knives.
4. Some actors are famous for being extras. Garnering more than three million views, a YouTube video from 2011 titled "World's Greatest Extra" compiled a single actor's appearances from dozens of different shows and movies.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 90 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Must be 6 or older. Younger than 18 must be accompanied by guardian. Registration required. Limit 2 per person, may buy 2 additional as gifts. Valid only for option purchased. Disruptive participants can be asked to leave with no refund. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.