Take your more-than-just-a-pretty-face sister and more-than-just-a-peg-leg pirate to discover what happens when the cream hits the grill. Today's Groupon gets you $20 worth of sandwiches, salads, and sweets at More Than Just Ice Cream. Grab your creamery-craving cronies and hungry pals and head out to this 34-year-old local institution for a fun night of bistro eats and creamy treats.
Grab a seat by the floor-to-ceiling windows and bask in the sunlight or gaze at the twinkling night skyline as you dine in this casual den of deliciousness. As the name suggests, More Than Just Ice Cream's brunch, lunch, and dessert menus battle vanilla blandness by loading up on savory fare, such as roasted garlic hummus (with grilled pita chips and raw veggies, $8) and ground-turkey chili ($3.75 a cup). Grab a cosmopolitan salad (with grilled or fried chicken, romaine hearts, plum tomato, avocado, boiled egg, carrots, roasted peppers, mushrooms, kalamata olives, and balsamic vinaigrette, $12.50) or a grilled ahi tuna sandwich (with plum tomatoes, cucumber, mixed greens, and wasabi mayo on a white or multi-grain baguette, $9.25) for a tasty lunch.
More Than Just Ice Cream is BYOB, so you can meet your friends after work with your own bottle of red wine and savor the spicy and comforting Cajun turkey meatloaf (with stewed tomatoes, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli, $15.25), or finally invent that butter-pecan cocktail that's haunting your dreams. More Than Just Ice Cream offers plenty of vegetarian innovations, such as the vegetarian pita pizza (with sautéed spinach, roasted peppers, goat cheese, sun-dried tomato pesto and served with balsamic seasonal greens, $8.50) and a vegetarian soup du jour ($3.50 for a cup).
For those offended by the dismissive just in this bistro's name, rest assured that More Than Just Ice Cream's parlor treats are anything but afterthoughts. Let the rich ice cream mingle with up to two flavors in a small dish ($3.75) or large dish ($5.75). Create your own sundae ($7.00) or try one of the specialty sundaes such as the Beehive (honey and peanuts on choice of two flavors, $7.50). If the cooler weather has you craving warm treats, imagine a creamy scoop of ice cream melting down the craggy surface of a luscious deep-dish apple pie ($10.50), or skip the ice cream and chow down on the warm apple wedges on their own ($7.50).
- ...this is our favorite place to take over for birthdays or just nights out with the girls. The food is tasty and inexpensive, the ice cream is wonderful, and it's a byo with plenty of wine glasses to borrow. – washwestdiner, Citysearch
- Fantastic Ice Cream and delicious food. Great comfort food and it is the kind of place where everything on the menu is delicious. – dublyou, Citysearch
- Everything is huge, everything is rich, everything is worth every penny...I take friends there all the time, and not once has there been a complaint. You can't beat the hours either when you feel like a late night snack. – phicandy, Citysearch
Less Than Just Ice Cream
A number of rip-off artists in the area have tried to capitalize on More Than Just Ice Cream’s signature edible medley by introducing the Less Than Just Ice Cream philosophy and advocating forgoing the ice cream entirely and only selling toppings. Here are just of few of these avant-garde toppings-only anti-creameries:
- Fudge & Friends
- Nut’n But Fixin’s!
- Professor Butterscotch’s Styrofoam Bowl Full of Sliced Bananas and Candy
- Sprinkles and Sons’ Dry Dessert Pouches
- Tooth Crumblers
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Washington Square West
1119 Locust St
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107Get Directions