In order to play the piano or guitar, stuffed bears must graft dexterous human fingers atop their furry nubbins. Make glorious music that's the envy of inanimate objects with today's deal: for $49, you get a semester of beginner guitar or piano classes at Music House School of Music in Overland Park (up to a $200 value). Each semester has either eight or nine 50-minute classes (depending on which session you choose) and includes books. Students must provide their own guitars; pianos will be provided due to the difficulty of carrying them across quicksand crosswalks. Call soon to register before the semester starts; the final registration date is August 11.
Music House School of Music encourages an appreciation of music for beginners of all ages. Its instructors demonstrate a passion for teaching students how to play instruments in order to foster creativity and self-expression, increase spatial intelligence, and spicy up the boring sounds of avian chirping. With today's Groupon, students can foster a new six-string identity or choose to pound some soul into a strand of white and black keys. Available classes include:
- Piano Foundations (ages 6–8) on Mondays (8 weeks) at 4:10 p.m.–5 p.m. meeting 8/9–10/4 or Tuesdays (9 weeks) at 5:10 p.m.–6 p.m. meeting 8/10-10/5.
- Popular Piano (ages 9–12) on Mondays (8 weeks) at 5:10 p.m.–6 p.m. meeting 8/9–10/4 or Wednesdays (9 weeks) at 5:10 p.m.–6 p.m. meeting 8/11–10/6.
- Popular Piano (ages 13–adult) on Tuesdays (9 weeks) at 8:10 p.m.–9p.m. meeting 8/10–10/5 or Wednesdays (9 weeks) at 7:10 p.m.–8 p.m. meeting 8/11–10/6.
- Guitar 1 (ages 10–13) on Mondays (8 weeks) at 6:10 p.m.–7 p.m. meeting 8/9–10/4; Tuesdays (9 weeks) at 4:10 p.m.–5 p.m. meeting 8/10–10/5; Wednesdays (9 weeks) at 4:10 p.m.–5 p.m. meeting 8/11–10/6; or Thursdays (9 weeks) at 5:10 p.m.–6 p.m. meeting 8/12–10/7.
- Guitar 1 (ages 13–adult) on Mondays (8 weeks) at 8:10 p.m.–9 p.m. meeting 8/9–10/4; Tuesdays (9 weeks) at 7:10 p.m.–8 p.m. meeting 8/10–10/5; Wednesdays (9 weeks) at 7:10 p.m.–8 p.m. meeting 8/11–10/6; or Thursdays at 8:10 p.m.–9 p.m. meeting 8/12–10/7.
Beginner classes provide a solid musical and technical foundation that's ideal for showing off with a filibuster solo at the next city council meeting.
Students of the shredding world will also receive a CD and playbook for practice at home. Take up to nine informative classes and you can finally deploy your functional fingers in the epic instrumental battle against the soul-crushing dissonance of silence. Call ahead to register.
Music House School of Music
The instructors at Music House School of Music understand that music is a language and that languages should be used to express yourself. That’s why they’ve abandoned prescriptive instruction in favor of collaborative learning in a community setting, placing the music that their students want to hear at the center of their teaching programs. During private lessons, students forge a path through the genres of their choice, from rock to jazz to classical to birdsong. They show off their progress during monthly club meetings, working with a tight-knit group of like-minded musicians until they feel confident enough for public performance. In group classes, kids as young as 6 get to tickle ivory, strum steel, and set their uvulas abuzz with their burgeoning baritones.
On May 4 from 12–4 p.m., Music House School of Music celebrates the grand opening of its Lenexa location, which will feature live music, free classes and lessons for ages 6+, surprise goody bags, and refreshments. All attendees will be entered in a raffle for a chance to win six months of free music instruction.
7465 W 161st St.
Overland Park, Kansas 66085Get Directions