What You'll Get
Like modern executives, historic whalers sought to feed a demand, were adept in their trade, and garnered the best results when armed with a harpoon. Learn about ancient trades with today’s Groupon to New Bedford Whaling Museum. Choose between the following options:
- For $39, you get a family membership for two household members and their children or grandchildren under 18, plus four Admit One passes to share with others (an $85 value).
- For $69, you get an associate membership for two household members and their children or grandchildren under 18, plus four Admit One passes to share with others and reciprocal privileges at more than 500 museums nationwide (a $150 value).
Both memberships include:
* Unlimited museum admission
* Advance notice of programs, exhibit openings, and special events
* Discounts on lectures, trips, and programs
* Invitations to members-only exhibits
* 10% discount on museum-store purchases
* Voting privileges at Old Dartmouth Historical Society
Admission for children younger than 6 is free.
Motivated by regional pride and a desire to honor the progenitors of America’s once-bustling whaling industry, New Bedford Whaling Museum transports guests back to the salty shores and bustling ports of 19th-century New England. Anchored at the center of New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park, the museum features interactive exhibits, large-scale models of whaling ships, and a collection of blueprints for making a whale saddle. Guests marvel at the motionless masts of the Lagoda—a half-scale whaling ship completed in 1916 and one of the world’s largest ship models—or step into the belly of the beast itself and examine the museum’s skeleton collection which includes a blue whale, a humpback, and a sperm whale. Marine paintings by Dutch masters in the New World share wall space with Japanese whaling art and ancient Hartford Whalers jerseys, and images of Cape Verde spanning more than 200 years offer visitors a glimpse into the past. Additionally, Associate members receive reciprocal privileges at more than 500 other museums, such as the USS Constitution, Peabody Essex Museum, and Mystic Seaport Museum, through the Council of American Maritime Museums and the North American Reciprocal Museum program.
The 107-year-old New Bedford Whaling Museum’s complex assessment of whaling’s history includes current exhibitions that teach lessons relevant to the global issues of today. Its close ties to communities as far away as Japan and Portugal are reflected in a diverse schedule of free programs aimed at students, international visitors, and amateur harpoonists.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Mar 21, 2012. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as a gift. Valid only for option purchased. Must activate by 3/21/12. New members only. Online registration required. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.