All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
· 21 hours ago
· 3 days ago
· 3 days ago
What You'll Get
|_Jump to: Details||Reviews_|
The captains of Newport Landing Sportfishing are experts at coaxing whales and dolphins to appear for passengers on their whale-watching cruises. While at sea, do your part to help attract these mighty creatures by following these hints:
- Talk loudly about the whales’ favorite movie, Star Trek IV.
- Bring as many school busses and monster trucks onto the boat as you can. Whales love to be compared in size to these large vehicles.
- Drop your wallet in the ocean. Sea mammals like to return lost wallets.
Here are some sea-taboos to avoid when trying to spot dolphins and whales:
- Don’t snap your fingers. It’s not the sound dolphins detest—it’s the opposable thumbs that make it possible.
- Don’t wear a “Save the Whales” t-shirt. Whales don’t appreciate being patronized.
For $13, today’s Groupon guarantees you’ll see a sea mammal on a 2.5-hour whale-watching trip (normally $30). Newport Landing Whale Watching, located at 309 Palm St. in Newport Beach, guarantees a whale or dolphin will appear while waves gently rock you in a boat. Slurp a beer, smell the ocean breeze, sit in the sun surrounded by one of California’s scarcest resources, and see a 36-ton animal carrying 400 pounds of barnacles and whale lice with today’s Groupon. Plus, if dolphins board the boat and try to kidnap you, your rescue is included in your ticket.
Newport Landing is a local favorite because of its amiable captains and crew, who say they’ll take half off your next visit if whales fail to emerge and you only see dolphins. But so far in 2009, Newport Landing watchers have seen 628 whales, 86,310 dolphins, and one dog disguised as a manatee. This Groupon expires in six months, so if you hold on to it, you might catch the beginning of the Gray Whale annual migration in December.
Twelve Yelpers give Newport Landing Sportfishing an average of four stars. Here’s what they’re saying:
- A day at sea with some energetic dolphins swimming beneath your eyes (seriously–as close as you can get without being in the water), the beauty of our vast Great Pacific… I simply cannot think of a better way to spend a Friday Afternoon. – Brad W.
- Flipper’s brother came by and gave us a quick show by jumping up right next to where we were sitting… Don’t blame the crew if you get motion sickness. They were great, helpful, friendly and very accommodating. – Bong E.
- They are probably the nicest and most helpful of almost all boats and landings. – Matt L.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jan 14, 2010. Amount paid never expires. 1/2 off next tour if no whales are seen Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.