The Epic Sweepstakes: Supporting Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry and Food Bank For New York City
Each $10 Donation to this Grassroots campaign will be used by Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry initiative and Food Bank For New York City to fight hunger nationwide and within the five boroughs, respectively. No Kid Hungry provides breakfast, lunch, and advocacy for hungry children across the country, while Food Bank For New York City helps provide 400,000 meals per day to the city’s food-insecure, as well as nutrition education and other services.
In addition, each $10 donation grants donors one entry into a sweepstakes* for an unforgettable trip for two to New York City to meet Whoopi Goldberg and attend the Food Network New York City Wine & Food Festival presented by FOOD & WINE. The trip includes:
- Private meet and greet with Whoopi Goldberg at the Cooking Channel Presents Chicken Coupe event on Thursday, October 16
- Round-trip coach airfare for two from anywhere in the continental United States to New York City
- Five-night stay at the 4-star DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan New York, checking in Wednesday, October 15, and checking out Monday, October 20
- Two guest passes for three days of the Food Network New York City Wine & Food Festival, including access to the Grand Tasting presented by ShopRite
- Access to the exclusive Wine GEMS & the Boutique Spirits Collection Room
- Two invitations to the two private chef after-parties
- Reserved seating at the KitchenAid Culinary Demonstrations presented by MasterCard
Passes also include admission to these special events:
- Ronzoni’s La Sagra Slices hosted by Bongiovi Brand Pasta Sauces and Adam Richman and presented by Time Out New York
- Blue Moon Burger Bash presented by Pat LaFrieda Meats and hosted by Rachael Ray
- Jets + Chefs: The Ultimate Tailgate, hosted by Joe Namath and Mario Batali
- Meatopia X: The Carnivore’s Ball hosted by Michael Symon
- Oktoberfest sponsored by The Village Voice, presented by Jägermeister, and hosted by Andrew Zimmern
The sweepstakes winner will be drawn on Thursday, September 25.
New York City Wine & Food Festival
For four days, the New York City Wine & Food Festival condenses the gastronomic universe into a comprehensive set of tastings, parties, classes, and demonstrations throughout the city. This year’s festival includes more than 100 events—many of which are hosted by some of the culinary world’s brightest stars—covering everything from beef jerky to foie gras. To check out additional NYCWFF events and purchase tickets, click here.
No Kid Hungry and Food Bank For New York City
In a remote trailer-home community in New Mexico, sisters Amber and Adrianne live with their father. Although he works to support them, they don't always have enough food to go around. When SNAP benefits start running out at the end of each month, the sisters use their free school lunches as their primary meal, but in the summer these meals disappear. That's when No Kid Hungry steps in.
Summer meal programs ensure children always have a nutritious lunch to eat. No Kid Hungry supports these programs—run by school districts and community centers across the country—to help feed more than 16 million children. The organization also raises funds to provide breakfasts for school children and raises awareness about the epidemic of child hunger. No Kid Hungry volunteers also work with families in Cooking Matters classes, teaching them how to stretch their food budgets and prepare meals that will keep them strong.
Food Bank For New York City takes a similarly comprehensive approach to fighting hunger, though the scope of its mission is confined to the five boroughs. The organization works with a network of soup kitchens, food pantries, senior centers, and other programs to distribute 400,000 meals every day, but it also provides clients with nutrition education and runs its own community-supported agriculture program. It even helps food-insecure New Yorkers maximize their available resources by making sure they receive the appropriate SNAP benefits and earned-income tax credits.
*No donation is necessary to enter or win, and a donation will not increase your chances of winning. To enter without donation, you must handwrite on a 3x5 card labeled “Epic Whoopi Goldberg Food and Wine Festival Sweepstakes Entry” your full name, country of residence, home and daytime telephone number (including area code), e-mail address and confirmation that you are at least 21 years old or the age of majority (all of which must be legible) and mail it (up to the daily limit below) with proper postage to: “Attention: Groupon’s Epic Whoopi Goldberg Food and Wine Festival Sweepstakes Entry”, Groupon, Inc., 600 West Chicago Avenue, Ste. 400, Chicago, IL 60654. See Official Rules for additional requirements. Odds of winning depend on the total number of entries received. Void where prohibited by law. Sweepstakes only open to legal residents of the 48 continental U.S. or D.C., 21+. Entry period ends: 11:59 p.m. EST on 9/14/14. ARV of prize: $4900. Sponsor: Groupon, Inc., 600 West Chicago Avenue, Ste. 400, Chicago, IL 60654.