What You'll Get
Racetracks were once populated by steam-powered racecars that regularly maintained a blistering pace of nine miles per hour. Enjoy a more exciting, rage-fueled race with today’s Groupon: for $7, you get a general-admission ticket (a $14 value on the day of the game) to see the North Star Roller Girls battle it out in a flat-track roller-derby bout. The races take place at the Minneapolis Convention Center. General-admission tickets are good for chair and bleacher seating or standing, but not trackside seating. Choose from the following seven dates:
- Saturday, October 30, at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, December 4, at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, January 15, at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, February 26, 2011, at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, March 26, 2011, at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, April 30, 2011, at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, May 14, 2011, at 7 p.m.
Roller derby combines the breakneck pace of NASCAR, the technical virtuosity of figure skating, and the hard-hitting action of badminton into a supersport smoothie. Your tickets get you in to see the Banger Sisters, Delta Delta Di, Kilmore Girls, and the Violent Femmes compete for first place, bragging rights, and bruises that most resemble Abraham Lincoln. Established in 2006, the North Star Roller Girls have steadily grown in popularity, becoming part of the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association in 2008. Today, North Star’s travel team, the Supernovas, periodically compete for a coveted national rankings spot. Teams are propelled by traditional quad roller skates, mounds of spunk, and intimidating monikers such as “Ida Kildher” and “Maggie McFaceStomp” as they propel their point-scoring teammates past opponents.
- Thanks to the popularity of Whip It, I would be willing to speculate that attendance at the Northstar Rollergirls' bouts will be up throughout the season. Call it the Whip It bump. You need only share a theater with a few giddy, chatting tweens to understand that the film has exposed a whole new generation to roller derby in a shiny, neat, mainstream package. – Ben Palosaari, City Pages
- The North Star Roller Girls, formed in 2006, is a skater-owned-and-operated enterprise that empowers women, promotes athleticism, benefits local charities and artists, and promises a rocking good time. – Sarah Barker, University of Minnesota Alumni Association
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Amount paid never expires. Limit 4 per person. Valid only for date purchased. Not valid for trackside tickets. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.