Creating a 2-D rendition on canvas requires either the ability to masterfully wield a paintbrush or the strength to flatten a fruit bowl. Discover your artful brawn with today’s Groupon to NSCAD University School of Extended Studies. Choose from the following options:
- For $125, you get one introductory Mi’kmaw basketry class, held Wednesdays, November 2–November 30, from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in room H250 Weaving Studio (a $250 value).
- For $125, you get one introductory oil painting class, held Wednesdays, November 2–December 14, from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in room P210 (a $250 value).
- For $125, you get one introductory watercolour class, held Tuesdays, November 1–December 13, from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in room P210 (a $250 value).
- For $132, you get one knitwear design class for creating hand knits, held Thursdays, October 27–December 8, from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in room H240 (a $265 value).
- For $162, you get one introductory carving class, held Wednesdays, November 2–December 14, from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in room P117 (a $325 value).<p>
All classes are capped at 15 or fewer students. Students can locate their respective classrooms here.
Primarily taught by recent NSCAD University graduates continuing their own artistic practices, NSCAD’s adult courses engage students in a wide variety of disciplines such as painting, sculpture, and knitting. After absorbing traditional techniques for wood and plant preparation, students twist, curl, and bend lumber or locks of old dog hair into Mi’kmaq baskets. Through studio work, demonstrations, and group critique, 15 pupils discover the process and theory of oil painting, and a different brigade applies the same activities to their exploration of colour design and fundamental techniques in the still lives and abstract compositions of watercolour painting. A knitwear design course voyages through the entire hand-knitting design process, studying shaping, colour work, tapestry knitting, and finishing techniques. Using plaster blocks, 12 apprentice sculptors rehearse carving basics while considering work with three dimensions, artistic influences, and collaborating with freelancing gorgons.