What You'll Get
Art is in the eye of the beholder, whereas swollen retinas are in the eye of the bee holder. Get soul-stung by provocative and powerful art with today's Groupon: for $6, you get two adult admissions to the Oceanside Museum of Art (up to a $16 value), located in Oceanside. Regular admission is $8 for adults and $5 for seniors over age 65.
The Oceanside Museum of Art displays compelling works of art from local and regional artists as well as traveling national and international exhibitions. Current exhibits include Focus on Oceanside: Lee Peterson, a photographic collection by San Diego aperture enthusiast Lee Peterson. Peterson has courted and captured the spirit of Oceanside, from its ghosts-of-seagulls haunted harbor to the San Luis Mission Rey, in a stunning series of images employing both classically breathtaking and extraordinarily surreal perspectives. The gallery walls are also privileged to carry an impressive exhibition of contemporary Mexican-American art from Einar and Jamex de la Torre, as well as Raul Guerrero, along with myriad works by contemporary Native American artists in San Diego County. The museum's galleries are re-designed for each new exhibition to prevent acute cases of eyeball ennui.
The museum's side-by-side buildings were designed by acclaimed architects Irving Gill and Frederick Fisher, respectively. Though Gill's early 20th century classic style occasionally exchanges stern glances with Fisher's more modern aesthetic, cross-building super-soaker fights are generally kept at a minimum. The museum closes its doors on Mondays and major holidays, generally serving up its visual stew six days a week.
- The Oceanside Museum of Art (OMA) is a cultural leader in contemporary design, offering a broad range of fine art exhibitions including paintings, furniture, sculptures, architectural glass and a collection of southern California themed landscape works. ¬¬– Jennifer Pruett, HelloMetro
- Oceanside Museum of Art is the most sophisticated museum in North County San Diego, and worth the short drive it might take you to get there. – Danielle S., Yelp
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Apr 23, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy 3 additional as gifts. Valid Tuesday- Sunday. Museum is closed Mondays and major holidays. Not valid for openings, preview receptions or special events. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Oceanside Museum of Art
Like the art world itself, the museum and its galleries evolve constantly—at least 15 different exhibitions open there each year. The museum's visitors will encounter many different forms of artistic inspiration as they sample the museum's wealth of local and global artists from the 20th and 21st centuries.
- Size: 9,000 square feet encompass four rotating galleries, which host more than 15 exhibitions annually
- The Buildings: The museum's side-by-side structures were designed by acclaimed architects Irving Gill in the early 20th century and Frederick Fisher in the early 21st century.
- Don't Miss: The Museum Store, which sells jewelry, glass, clothes, and other original works of art
- Special Programs: Art classes, the 333's Music at the Museum series, panels, lectures, and Art After Dark—evenings of wine, beer, and themed creative entertainment
- Pro Tip: The museum closes its doors and puts a pillow under every statue's head on Mondays and major holidays.
- Beyond the Museum: OMA's travel programs take people on art-themed trips to foreign countries.