The human body, unlike raisins, white wine, and the wit of Oscar Wilde, isn't meant to be dry. Embark on a watery escapade with today’s Groupon to Oklahoma City Riversport. Choose between the following options:
- For $17, you get a Discover Rowing class (a $35 value).
- For $60, you get a dragon-boat excursion for an 11-person boat (a $125 value).
The buoyant staff at Oklahoma City Riversport inspires land dwellers to pick up paddles and explore the local waterways in rowing barges and dragon boats. During the 90-minute Discover Rowing lesson, the instructor’s shoulder-mounted parrot imparts wisdom about rowing shells, oars, and propelling techniques before pupils practice on an indoor rowing machine. When paddlers are skilled enough to navigate the briny seas, they may unleash themselves on tranquil waters atop their flat-bottomed rowing barges. Coordinate class times with friends to take advantage of the nautical carpool lane.
Corral up to 10 compatriots for the one-hour dragon-boat excursion, which sends riders off to conquer waves on a dragon-themed vessel styled after Chinese fishing boats. An onboard drum allows a shipmate to beat out a rhythm to synchronize the boat’s team of paddlers. While paddling through the lake, crews may gaze upon the shoreline at leisure or challenge dolphins to feverish races.
OKC Boathouse Foundation
If you're searching for adventure along the Oklahoma River, head straight for the welcome center at the Chesapeake Finish Line Tower. There, you'll find representatives of the OKC Boathouse Foundation, a group of seasoned outdoor experts who oversee the myriad activities that take place in the city's Boathouse District. Whether you're an athlete training for an upcoming crew meet or a thrill seeker ready for the ziplines and adventure courses at Riversport Adventures, there's something here for every excitement level. Read on to learn more:
- Boats and watercraft: The Boathouse District is a haven for water vessels of all types. In addition to group rowing lessons and competition, the river also hosts plenty of kayaking, sailing, canoeing, and standup paddleboarding. There's even dragon boating, a popular group rowing sport that originated in China.
- Trails: In addition to adventuring on the water, guests can also stay fit on land; the Boathouse District boasts 13 miles of paved riverfront trails suitable for biking, running, or leisurely strolling.
- Riversport Adventures: The Boathouse District is also home to Riversport Adventures, a thrilling collection of adrenaline-friendly outdoor activities. Harnessed guests can clamber over obstacles on the 80-foot-high Sky Trail before descending via the 72-foot Sky Slide or the 80-foot free-fall of the Rumble Drop. Guests can also fly through the air on the Sandridge Sky Zip, which spans 700 feet across the Oklahoma River.