Renaissance festivals re-create what life was like in 16th-century Europe, a time best remembered for having rad fests. Make partying your pastime with this Groupon.
- $15.95 for a one-day admission for two to The Oregon Renaissance Festival of Hillsboro (up to $31.90 value)
- When: any Saturday or Sunday, August 16-September 21, or Labor Day (September 1)
- Where: Washington County Fair Complex
- General admission
- Door time: 10 a.m.
- Ticket values include all fees
- View the festival schedule
- Also includes stages shows, jousting tournament, Birds of Prey demonstration show, and free parking
- Public transportation available via the light rail
The Oregon Renaissance Festival of Hillsboro
Minstrels, sword-swallowers, falconers—all were common sights on the streets of 16th-century European villages. Now, over the course of 13 days, a talented band of players descends upon The Oregon Renaissance Festival of Hillsboro to recreate those days of yore. Schooled in the methods of improv theater, actors inhabit their roles as fairies, sword-fighters, and members of the royal court, among others. Members of RoundTable Productions even suit up in knight's armor to compete in a joust attended by fair maidens and correspondents from ESPNMedieval.
While warhorses charge at one another, artisans in the marketplace hawk handmade clothing, jewelry, and wooden crafts. Ditto the festival's food purveyors, who satiate pre-industrial appetites with spinach pies, turkey legs, bread bowls of hearty soup, and steak on a stake. After a bite, hop aboard hand-powered rides or perform chaste dances to English rounds crooned in five-part harmony.