Though Mexican food is always imitated, the authentic cuisine can never be duplicated without the help of a time traveling machine and directions to the prep kitchen at Chichen Itza. Taste the real thing with today’s Groupon to Otaez Mexican Restaurant. This deal is valid at locations in Alameda and Oakland. Choose between the following options:
- For $22, you get a Mexican feast for two (up to a $44.35 total value), which includes:
- One appetizer (up to a $6.95 value)
- Two entrees (up to an $11.95 value each)
- Two house margaritas (a $6.75 value each)<p>
- For $44, you get a Mexican feast for four (up to a $88.70 total value), which includes:
- Two appetizers (up to $6.95 value each)
- Four entrees (up to an $11.95 value each)
- Four house margaritas (a $6.75 value each)<p>
Since opening the original locale in 1985, Otaez Mexican Restaurant continues to churn out authentic Mexican cuisine backed by a fully stocked bar of tantalizing tequilas. Eyes dance across Otaez’s lengthy menu before spotting a palate-pleasing appetizer, such as a skillet bubbling with melted oaxaca cheese and chorizo in the queso fundido con chorizo, or a fish tostada de ceviche crowned in avocado. Cooks cover their egg-battered pasilla peppers in hot sauce to protect the valuable cheese inside from dairy thieves with acid reflux. Blurry-eyed appetites can awaken with jazzy bites of cactus and egg scrambled in the huevos con nopales, and midday munchers grub on a host of tacos, enchiladas, and quesadillas. Feasting groups can also indulge in sips of house margaritas, poured after being carefully shaken by a bartender wearing three pairs of mittens.
After wandering through the restaurant’s faux Aztec façade, diners can settle into the spacious dining room, dripping with Mexican-inspired décor. Hues of dusty yellow and various tans pop like two-dimensional weasels against tables draped with white and red cloths, as glowing chandeliers cast their flickering lights over ravenous diners.