What You'll Get
The first moving picture, which depicted a horse running at full gallop, was quickly enhanced by the first special effects, which showed a horse exploding next to a 3-D spaceship. Enjoy advances in film with today's Groupon for membership at the Berkeley Art Museum’s Pacific Film Archive. Choose one of the following membership packages:
- $25 for an individual membership (a $50 value)
- $37 for a dual/family membership (a $75 value)
- $75 for a sponsor membership (a $150 value)
The Pacific Film Archive is the Berkeley Art Museum’s venue for all things filmic, cinematic, and animatic, offering screenings, collections, and events and seminars that explore the rich world of motion pictures. An individual membership to the archive comes with a reel's worth of celluloidal benefits, including free admission to the PFA gallery, discounts on tickets to film screenings, and free artist discussions and lectures. With reciprocal membership privileges at more than 30 university art museums, you can become a fixture in the film world, which, unlike the spontaneous-rock-hurling world, is a vibrant, supportive community.
An individual membership also comes with free access to the PFA library and film study center, and BAM/PFA Art & Film Notes mailed to you on a bimonthly basis. A dual/family membership includes all of the same benefits as an individual membership, as well as an additional membership card. The two cardholders can extend their membership benefits to either one guest each or to up to four children under 18 years of age. Sponsor-level members receive all of the family/dual membership privileges as well as two passes to the PFA theater, two museum passes for unaccompanied guests, special invitations to previews and lectures, and a priority reservation to Film 50: History of Cinema, the series that explores film’s improbable journey from chronicling a mute, accident-prone, mustachioed vagabond to explaining, through Transformer-driven allegory, the collapse of Eastern European economic markets.
All membership packages are entirely tax deductible, and the PFA will never reveal your taste in movies or popcorn toppings to the notoriously judgmental IRS. A membership to the PFA helps support film-archiving efforts, as well the effort to hunt down Federico Fellini’s last, lost film, Three Men and a Baby 3: One Too Many Babies, Two Too Few Men.
- Pacific Film Archive launches its fall season with "Radical Light: Alternative Film and Video in the San Francisco Bay Area 1945–2000." This will be a comprehensive exhibition program that includes avant-garde cinema as well as an in-depth exploration of experimental narratives, collage animation and found footage. – Joe Kempkes, Laney Tower
- Clean, large, and with ample seating for independent films, documentaries, artsy flicks, international movies and anything non mainstream. Perfect for a college town. – Denise Q., Yelp
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Oct 12, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. New members only. Valid only for membership option purchased. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.