If you're convinced that modern Mexican cuisine is difficult to digest, frequently self-indulgent, and rife with obscure symbolism and wordplay, you may be confusing modern Mexican cuisine with modern Mexican literature. Realize your mistake with today’s Groupon: for $25, you get $50 worth of modern Mexican cuisine and drink at the award-winning Padre’s Modern Mexican Cuisine in Midtown.
Padre's Modern Mexican Cuisine finds a delicious equilibrium between contemporary culinary approaches and traditional Latin and Mexican recipes. Come to Padre’s between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday for the best of lunch, and try the lazy enchiladas with queso fresco, diced onions, and green tomatilla sauce alongside rice and beans ($9.95) or the Cuban-style pulled-pork sandwich ($8.50). Hungry diners can put together the least likely political ticket in history by chasing the Obama burrito with chile-braised pork ($9.95) with the Alaskan salmon–laced Sarah Palin salad (with a fresh lime-mint vinaigrette, $14.95). Should you find yourself at Padre’s in the hours between lunch and sleep time, consider ordering an item or two from the dinner menu, such as the cilantro pesto pasta with grilled chicken ($12.95), the signature pollo relleno with goat cheese, poblano cream sauce, and guajillo mashed potatoes ($16.95), or the duck-breast tacos ($14.95).
Padre’s is also home to a drink menu with award-winning margaritas and daiquiris (note: Groupon not valid toward happy-hour specials). Bring your blue-ribbon beverage out to the back patio, where you can either watch as dozens of miles-long, baton-shaped spaceships crash into the desert, or shake out a week of stress on the dance floor with Friday-night Salsa starting at 8:30 p.m. and live music on Saturdays. Call before you come as reservations are required.
Phoenix New Times honors Padre's Modern Mexican Cuisine with several awards, including Best Margarita 2006, Best Modern Mexicana Restaurant 2007, and Best Daiquiri 2008. Padre’s also receives praise from the Arizona Republic, along with several other publications:
- We're hooked on the lobster thermidor quesadilla, and lately we can't resist the cilantro mousse with chips, which makes an addicting accompaniment to one of Padre's top-notch margaritas. – Phoenix New Times
- Trust me, Lazy Enchiladas, stuffed with pulled pork, smothered in tomatillo sauce and sprinkled with queso fresco, are worth saving room for. Sided with soupy refried beans and fluffy Mexican rice, this is a terrific lunch for the price ($9.95) – Nikki Buchanan, Arizona Republic
- Wow, why did we wait so long to try this place? This is the coolest restaurant. The Mojito's are the best I have had in years, the food is what will bring you back though. – Bill Butler, Urbanspoon
- The last time I was there with my work colleague we shared some appetizers: the bacon wrapped scallops and the lobster quesadilla. Both were really stellar. To help wash this down we had some patron margaritas which I found to be very good. – C. Edward B., Yelp
- Order the clam appetizer dish. It's loaded with cilantro and chile pepper in a lime chicken broth. So good you'll spoon it up like soup! The fajitas are great compared to most other mexican places. – Dino92109, Zagat
1044 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, Arizona 85014Get Directions