Advances in aviation have made air travel safer and decreased the amount of injuries sustained from long-distance pole vaults or nasty slips off Michael Jordan’s shoulders. Marvel at the progression of sky travel with today’s Groupon to the Palm Springs Air Museum near the Palm Springs International Airport. Children five and under enter free. Choose between the following options:
- For $7, you get admission for one adult (up to a $15 value).
- For $25, you get admission for four adults (up to a $60 value).
The Palm Springs Air Museum comprises three environmentally controlled hangars encompassing 70,000 square, which house a squadron of WWII-era warplanes. The 10-acre ode to aeronautics displays a rotating fleet of mile-high marvels with one of the world’s largest collections of World War II aircraft and an average of 26 planes on display daily. Visitors can request a guided tour of the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bomber, serenade a Grumman F-14 Tomcat with “Highway to the Danger Zone,” or try to guess the number of jellybeans that could fit into a Douglas C-47 Dakota transport plane.
An on-site documentary theater and a library of 8,500 volumes related to aviation history ensure no visitor leaves without a deeper understanding of aviation’s significance to U.S. history. The museum frequently hosts flight demonstrations on Saturdays, such as the upcoming celebration of the Douglas DC-3/C-47 on November 5, which features a flight exhibition of the C-47, or the December 10 Santa Fly-In, which features St. Nick arriving on the airfield in a Stearman Biplane, as his reindeer won't report for duty until mid-December.
Though Palm Springs Air Museum sometimes features discounted prices online, this Groupon still offers the best deal available.
Palm Springs Air Museum
There are no ropes at the Palm Springs Air Museum—all the better to get close to one of the world's largest collections of operational World War II-era aircraft, plus a formidable range of Korean and Vietnam-era aircraft and exhibits that round out the collection.
- Size: three air-conditioned hangars totaling 65,000 square feet, where a display of 40+ vintage aircraft, ranging from the WWII-era Grumman F6F Hellcat to the more modern F-4 Phantom, as well as occasional visiting displays outside on the tarmac with more vintage aircraft
- From the Press: CNN Travel named this one of the World's 14 Best Aviation Museums.
- Permanent Mainstay: Vintage Warbirds, a documentary theater, and a library with 9,500 volumes
- Don't Miss: Conversing with the museum docents—many of them served in World War II and other conflicts.
- Hidden Gem: Artist Chris Demarest, who paints soldiers and citizens from the WWII era, can often be found at work in the European hangar.
- Hands-On Activity: the flight simulator and interactive kids area
- Special Programs: flight exhibitions and Saturday programs
- Pro Tip: Go ahead and bring your dog—the museum welcomes friendly pets.