Vegetarianism, like the nation-state, has a long history and often involves millions of people enjoying the same types of crops or one Marie Antoinette letting people eat cake. Savor a lasting culinary philosophy with today’s Groupon to Panorama Cafe in Queens. Choose between the following options:
- For $10, you get a meal for two (up to a $25.90 total value). Upon arrival, diners choose between the following:
- Two sandwiches (up to a $7.95 value each) and two beverages (up to a $4.95 value each)
- Two brunch specials, offered Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (up to a $12.95 value each)
- For $19, you get a meal for four (up to a $51.80 total value). Upon arrival, diners choose between the following:
- Four sandwiches (up to a $7.95 value each) and four beverages (up to a $4.95 value each)
- Four brunch specials, offered Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (up to a $12.95 value each)
Panorama Cafe’s staff delivers vegetarian and vegan fare to bright-red tables boldly positioned against powdery-blue walls. Onion panini bread ensconces the Chevrole sandwich’s goat cheese and tomato innards, and mozzarella and tomato sauce blanket the soy-chicken-parmesan wrap’s faux poultry, tucked in with greens and swaddled in a whole-wheat wrap. Duos selecting sandwiches can also imbibe organic loose-leaf teas and pour-over cups of java, or use their fruit smoothies to paint “I’m rather thirsty” on the table. Baristas pull double ristretto shots to steam into velvety Panorama lattes, flavored with chocolate and caramel, as well as red-velvet lattes that combine the powers of raspberry and mocha to jolt taste buds out of their torpor. Each Sunday, all-organic brunch specials import international flavors; the list of previous hunger obliterators has included sweet and savory french crêpes and turkish flatbread stuffed with cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and seasoned vegetarian beef. Vegans can request dishes to be made with dairy-free Daiya cheese, which melts, stretches, and forms itself into moons in the same way real cheese does.
The Daily News deemed Panorama an “unexpected gem” for its vegan options, live music in the evenings, and “contemporary atmosphere.” Artistic touches flourish within the space, from deftly chalked menus to pure-white wainscoting and elegant sconces. In the back, plush couches nestle near sunshine-yellow tables, and a red-draped window allows in only the most bright sunbeams and in-love sitcom boyfriends.