What You'll Get
Until it becomes socially acceptable to two-step in triumph after winning the lotto or waltz in shame after losing at pinball, mankind will watch longingly as danceable emotions are conveyed on stage. Experience rhythmic catharsis with today's Groupon: for $42, you get a side orchestra or side grand tier ticket to the Paul Taylor Dance Company at the New York City Center (a $76 value, with a $1 facility fee included). Choose from the following dates and performances:
- Polaris, The Word, Also Playing on Saturday, February 26 at 3 p.m.
- Also Playing, Dust, Esplanade on Sunday, February 27 at 7 p.m.
- Company B, Phantasmagoria, Promethean Fire on Wednesday, March 2 at 7 p.m.
- Orbs, Promethean Fire on Thursday, March 3 at 7 p.m.
- Speaking in Tongues, Esplanade on Friday, March 4 at 8 p.m.
With work that has drawn accolades from such notable publications as the New York Times, the Paul Taylor Dance Company has expressed the trials and tribulations of mankind with elegant beauty and fierce honesty since 1954. Dancing doyens mold a full show from a series of short performances, gifting the audience all the variety and brevity of an audio mash-up of the decade's best shampoo commercials.
First performed in 1966, Orbs inundates the eye with the interplay of celestial bodies and the seasons' impact on the people of earth while submerging the ear in Beethoven's late string quartets. Those who don't believe in planets or Beethoven can enjoy the tale of Renaissance peasant folk in Phantasmagoria, or a farcical examination of vaudeville in Also Playing. Paul Taylor's repertoire of performances aims to express an array of subjects with the sophistication that comes from a life devoted to dance.
The Paul Taylor Dance Company fills the stage of the New York City Center, a cultural icon that has established its place in the arts community by hosting nearly 70 years of performances. By catering to dance and providing educational opportunities to the residents of New York, the New York City Center hopes to bolster the stage arts and keep dancers from pirouetting on street corners for spare change.
- This was at least the sixth time I have seen this work, and still, by the time the artist takes his leave of individual friends — the playing here by the Taylor dancers is impeccably restrained — I am choked with emotion at every performance. – Alastair Macaulay, the New York Times
- Few artists of our time have had the profound impact on their art form that Paul Taylor has had on dance. – NYC.com
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Amount paid never expires. Limit 4 per person, may buy 4 additional as gifts. Valid only for option purchased. Reservation required; subject to availability. Must be 10 or older. Must buy tickets together for group seating. No resale. Tax included. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.