Many of us were born unable to walk. Our first steps sparked the spirit of discovery and an unfamiliar desire: the desire for sweet running and walking gear. Today's Groupon gets you $40 worth of specialty running and walking gear for $19 at Philadelphia Runner. Use your Groupon to put a dent in the perfect running or walking shoes ($50–$150), pick up some slick apparel ($20¬–$100), or take your sport to the next level with top-notch equipment, such as heart rate monitors ($50–$200), stop watches ($20–$100), and Japanese imported rocket boots (meet us out back). Stop in at the Center City locale, or hit up the new University City store, and hit the streets, track, or early-morning mall walk in state-of-the-art style.
A well-chosen running shoe can enhance performance, prevent injury, and increase your energy levels by taking unnecessary stress off your joints, feet, and pinkie fingers. With an impressive stock of trusted brands, such as Nike, Puma, Asics, Adidas, and New Balance, at your disposal, choosing a shoe could be more overwhelming and time-consuming than naming a child. Luckily, Philadelphia Runner employees are passionate runners with the expertise to match your needs, activity level, and foot shape to the perfect shoe.
You don't have to learn exotic new leg-movement techniques when you make a commitment to running or walking for fitness, but you will need to dress the part. With your short shorts and spandex, onlookers will know that you’ve made attractive and healthy life choices, rather than assuming that you are running late to a surgery competition. Flaunt your aerodynamic duds and get the perfect shirt to wick the sweat from your body, making your marathon seem effortless and keeping your armpits dry as hotel towels.
- I had a very nice experience here. I was looking for a new brand of walking socks, and even though it was just shy of closing the sales person stayed late to help me through the decision. – Amy M., Insider Pages
- They carry a wide variety of running shoes and apparel. The staff is knowledgeable about the needs for runners and try to accomodate [sic] all the customers. – Samrat M., Insider Pages
- Philadelphia Runner is a great store for both the serious runner and the person who is just getting started...They have all the top brand names. They also offer gait analysis and will lead you to make the right decision on picking a running shoe appropriate for you. – Natalie K., Insider Pages
Running To or Away?
With more Americans taking up recreational running than ever, standing on the sidelines is increasingly awkward. As sleek, springy joggers bolt past you, you might find yourself wondering, What do they know that I don’t? Try asking if they’re running to something, or away from something, but be prepared for the following common replies:
- Away From: A swarm of hyper-intelligent bees in the unlikely shape of a man.
- To: An impromptu ice-cream social to celebrate the birth of the mayor’s granddaughter, Filene.
- Away From: Like, 30 draculas on UV-shielded Segways.
- To: A full-on clown haplessly clinging to the minute hand of a clock tower above a big stack of cream pies and feather pillows so that you can watch.
- Away From: Guilt at missing grandmother’s apple-doll making class.
- To: Visit you, silly!
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.