Without orchestral instruments, cat guts would serve no purpose and lyrical movie scenes would be scored with people shouting the emotions that you should be feeling. Bask in the music of classical masters as played by modern ones with today's Groupon: a concert ticket to one of five performances presented by the Philharmonic Society of Orange County, in Costa Mesa and Irvine. Choose from the following options:
- For $25, you get one balcony-front or orchestra-front seat for the Scharoun Ensemble on March 4 at 8 p.m. (a $41 value).
- For $25, you get one dress-circle seat for Philharmonic of Poland on March 15 at 8 p.m. (up to a $75 value).
- For $25, you get one promenade-circle seat for Philharmonic of Poland on March 15 at 8 p.m. (a $55 value).
- For $12, you get one grand-tier seat for Renée Fleming on April 5 at 8 p.m. (a $25 value).
- For $25, you get one orchestra-terrace seat for the Kronos Quartet on April 6 at 8 p.m. (a $68 value).
The Philharmonic of Poland, Renée Fleming, and the Kronos Quartet are performing at the Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall in Costa Mesa, and the Scharoun Ensemble will be at the Irvine Barclay Theatre in Irvine.
The Philharmonic Society of Orange County throws open the moon roof of Southern California to the orchestral ensembles of the world, both contemporary and classical. The Scharoun Ensemble, performing March 4, culls its invigorators of brass and string from the cream of the Berlin Philharmonic, forming one of Germany’s leading chamber-music ensembles and most-disappointing hip-hop groups. On March 15, the Philharmonic of Poland, Opole, makes its Orange County debut on its first transcontinental U.S. tour, performing Brahms' Symphony no. 3, the Liszt Piano Concerto no. 1, Strauss' Don Juan, and Mahler's Rock Lobster. On April 5, opera phenom Renée Fleming makes an exclusive West Coast appearance, performing classic arias and selections from her contemporary album, Dark Hope. On April 6, the Grammy-winning Kronos Quartet celebrates composer Steve Reich's 75th birthday with the West Coast premiere of his commemorative piece WTC 9/11, among other modern masterpieces.